2011 Japan Tsunami video

[Permalink]

1 Like

Good God, that one guy just barely got his car turned around in time…

3 Likes

Not sure his car was able to travel as fast as the water! I hope he made it.
So scary to watch. What must it be like to live in a country where such tragedies are never too far away?

It’s a shame the quality of the video makes the most of the water just look like a compression glitch…

3 Likes

It’s also incredible just how seemingly normal it looks when the boat at 0:25 makes the turn from one street to another under the pedestrian flyover just like any car would.

2 Likes

Tsunamis, earthquakes, wildfires, snow storms, tornados, hurricanes, volcanoes, drought, war… is there a country where such tragedies AREN’T too far away…?

8 Likes

In Minnesota we get the Snowstorms and the occasional wildfire hundreds of miles north. The Tornadoes occasionally get pretty serious. but the destruction is on such a narrow path in most cases that your odds are pretty good

They seem a lot easier to deal with than a Tsunamis or similar giant all consuming threats.

The turning radius of my car has never really been a life or death thing.

2 Likes

FFS trigger warning, dude.
I can’t even look at this-seen it, lived it-too sick, too close to home.

‘Nightmarish’ too glib a description.

Last trip it’s still thousands of homes in ruin, still bad. And fu with ur detached voyeurism and ‘oh, is there radiation in my California roll’ narcissism.

Show something positive as a chaser or if u wanna be conscious, engage. This doesn’t help.

I know it’s wrong but i kept hearing “yackity sax” playing in my head.

4 Likes

Come to the south in Tornado season.

This video reinforces the notion that the earth doesn’t care about us.

1 Like

Sometimes it is frightening but most of the time its like anywhere else.

Not long after the tsunami occurred, I spent a LONG time viewing all the videos that I could. I scoured for them in English as well as Japanese, so that I could get a full bore look at what the natives had been through. We here in the west have only a scant few contemporary disasters to that event, and yet none can really compare to the sheer devastation and loss of life. You would have to roll together all the EF5 tornadoes, like Joplin and Moore, the hurricanes like Katrina, and the earthquakes like San Francisco. Add to that the destruction of the twin towers in New York, and it would still fall short. In watching, I found it very difficult to grasp seeing whole towns and small cities wiped off the map entirely. Communities that were calm and having an average day, become stark masticated wastelands in less than twenty minutes. Three things struck me about the tsunami: How mild and non-threatening it seemed until it got right up to the shore, the sheer speed at which such an immense amount of water could roll inland, and the mind boggling volume of water, which seemed to just keep coming. I shed a lot of tears for the Japanese as I watched all those videos, but I also learned about what tsunamis really look like, what liquifaction of land can really do to any of man’s constructions, and I learned that we are all but a thin “skin” of life on the surface of the Earth, and that skin can easily be reshaped or wiped away entirely. The Joplin tornado is another video to look up if you want a “gone in mere moments” event here in the US. Believe me, the videos for that tornado show how huge they are, how fast they travel, and how little they leave behind intact. I donated to the Japanese Red Cross and encourage others to do think of the Red Cross as a way to help when too far away to lend real hands.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.