3 TB external hard drive for $87

[Read the post]

1 Like

You bring up any memory per price discussion around my old man and he can’t not say “back in my day, RAM cost twenty-five cents a bit!” It’s like getting Roger Rabbit to not say “two bits” with that guy.

8 Likes

The linked item on Amazon is $99, not $87.

1 Like

It’s 109 now.

3 Likes

Um, is there some code that drops the 109 to 82?

1 Like

Just watch out for the SEAGATE 3TB drives…

4 Likes

So it is… $109.

1 Like

I had “moment” this weekend when I saw 32GB flash drives for $12.99 at Target.
I must have stared at them for 5 minutes.

11 Likes

Amazon prices are quantumly entangled with the observer effect. If Mark hadn’t brought the drive to our attention the price would be $87. Or nothing. Or a dead cat in a box.

I bought a cheap 10" tablet a couple weeks back. Thought I’d take advantage of a sale on flash memory at Fred Meyer and get a 32gb micro SD for it. Just In Case I checked my stash of sticks and chips, and found a little history of flash memory. A 256 MB stick (unopened! with free lanyard!), a couple of 2 GB micro SD cards, a 4 GB compact flash card, a 8 GB stick and so on up to two unopened 32 GB micro SDs.

I’m glad I didn’t leave the price stickers on the exhibits in that little museum because I’d probably feel awful having paid so much for them.

25 Likes

Skip the 3tb drives - they fail way more than the 4tb ones (which don’t cost much more).

4 Likes

“Instead of hard drive, box contained bobcat. Not sure if living or dead.”

3 Likes

Wasn’t WD one of the hard drives the NSA was loading malware on to? No wonder it’s so cheap.
Oh wait they were only loading it onto HD’s being sent to Muslim countries.
Praise the lord

For what it’s worth, disk sizes were 14 inch & 8 inch back then.
I worked at Digital Equipment Corporation in the disk drive & heads group in the 70s, 80s & 90s. Fun times.

I have read that the 3 TB drives are in general so-so on reliability, go with 4 TB (or a RAID with 2 TB drives for probably even better reliability.)

3 Likes

FWIW, you should really avoid buying hard drives in “odd” sizes (e.g. 3TB vs 2TB) - apparently the failure rates of “odd” drives is much higher than “even” drives: http://lifehacker.com/why-you-should-buy-4-tb-hard-drives-and-skip-the-3-tb-o-1680887763

Case in point: I own this exact WD HDD, 3TB - died on me after about 2 years of continuous use - thank goodness for backups.

2 Likes

Thank goodness for clay tablets.

1 Like

I’m not a fan of the whole “we just make assumptions about how you should use this, therefore no power switch, and backup software you have to delete if you don’t want to deal with its ‘user friendly’ habit of backing up your whole damn drive every damn time no matter how sure you are that you’ve selected incremental backups.”
Just copying the shit I know needs to be saved manually is less of a pain to me than trying to force “convenient backup solutions” to do what I want without a lot of frustration and hair-pulling.
I just want a blank damn drive I can leave alone and power off with a switch and leave plugged in & hooked up when not in use.

6 Likes

Showing as $86.99 for me with Prime.

When I graduated (computing science) in 1985 my University was just upgrading the mainframe computer to 32 megabytes of ram. This was the computer for the whole university.

And shortly after the IBM pc came out in 1983 or so, I remember saying to another (computing science student no less) that when I do get my own computer I will want at least a mb of ram because at the time all you got was 512k, no hard disk and a floppy drive, his response was “what would you ever be doing that you would need so much memory?”

The same thing goes for laser printer technology, around 85 one of the computer dept guys was all excited about the new laser printer they were going to be getting, where the sheets just fly out…

Later in my print business we used an HP laserjet 2P for typesetting purposes and with the 4mb cartridge and a postscript cartridge it cost about $3200 and only printed 300 dpi. We usually printed at 200% and shot it down on a camera. Another printer I knew in the early 90s spent $21000 on 600 dpi laser printer.

Now you can pickup pretty good laser printer under a $100. And my Konica M 1060L digital press (a mid-range production machine) can print at 1200 dpi and print and complete whole booklets (up to 100pages) in one go.

10 Likes

$108 now :frowning:

I worked as a network admin for a mid-sized law firm in the early 90s, and when we migrated from an AS400 terminal based system to a Windows/Novell network, we installed all of the latest and greatest equipment, and money was virtually no object. The mass storage device we chose was a massive 5 gig raid4 array. The price tag was an eye-watering $40k, but we were sure it had enough room to last us a good long time. That’s 5 gigabytes for a firm of about 65 people, cranking out reams of legal documents.

2 Likes