6 Superpowers That Really Exist

I’ve always had an extremely sensitive nose and I’m usually the first to smell anything (handy to have around when electrical wiring is in meltdown), but I really freaked my partner out one night by declaring there was a hedgehog outside and was actually able to go outside the house and locate it by its smell. It was waddling around not far from the front door, on the other side of the house.

It was a very hot and humid midsummer night and all our windows were wide open. I don’t know if the humidity had anything to do with it. And hedgehogs are pretty pungent. If I had to describe the smell, I’d say similar to a ferret, but nowhere near as strong.

It’s not so fun having a hypersensitive nose when it comes to things like traffic fumes, chemicals, strong cooking smells and the like. People think I’m overreacting, but some smells can make me feel ill for hours. I never wear perfume and don’t buy strongly scented products for that reason.

1 Like

I just clicked through specifically to lodge the same objection - glad to see I’m not the only one.

Don’t super powers refer to humans? For bats and stuff it is just business as usual.

My wife had the power of super farts last night.

1 Like

People who wear perfume as a replacement for personal hygiene should be made to leave work and go take a shower at the Y.

I don’t know about you, but I’d rather smell someone’s unpleasant BO all day, than have to deal with the sickening dizziness, and sometimes migraines, that last for hours.

Sight: Correction, the mantis shrimp has 16 photoreceptors, 12 of which are for colour.

Also, in true expression of nature’s showboatyness, the peacock mantis shrimp can not only perceive more colours than any other creature, it’s so colourful itself. If we see that when we look at it, what the hell does it see when it looks at itself?

I was so blown away when I found out about this creature that I did some thinking on it and decided that while we will never know what the world looks like to these guys, a pretty good way to get an idea is by comparing simulations of dog/cat vision to our own vision. It would be a trip.

3 Likes

This is gross but true: gf noticed the adorable face they make when using this sense and so now makes a habit of offering our kittehs stinky clothes so she can marvel at their cuteness.

Horses need to raise their lips to smell better, and it’s not to open a passage to their noise, their gums and pallate have special olfactory receptors that are far better then their noses.

Moth Proves Homeopathy! :wink:

Dang,beaten to it by LemoUtan

1 Like

I remember when the USA used to be a Superpower… :slight_smile:

Absolutely. One of the worst things is getting into an elevator with, or after, a person wearing too much perfume. That’s usually when I decide to get out and take the stairs.

1 Like

Ugh. Listicles.

1 Like

I know right? I mean, if one of my male coworkers came into the office wearing a banana-hammock, it would be considered wildly inappropriate attire for the workplace, and he’d be asked 1) is he okay? Should we call him a cab? and 2) to change into something that we can all be comfortable with, because just the banana-hammock by itself is inappropriate attire in our line of work.

Heavy and strong perfume use is equally inappropriate. It’s not the 19th century, and at least in our office, people are paid well enough to have no excuse for not keeping themselves clean, and not have to wear whale-vomit-based products to cover up a year’s accrued body stink.

1 Like

Meh. Raise your hand if you came here expecting to read about superpowers that humans had. Any random living creature will have capabilities that surpass our own, or that we couldn’t have dreamt of having.

1 Like

Ha, great post about the mantis shrimp!

What about people who are unable to feel pain? You could argue that that is a type of superpower… or a supercurse, I suppose.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.