777 from Korea crash-lands at SFO

here’s an interesting link:

the part about the PAPI being out of service is incorrect. the PAPI was in service until OZ214 destroyed the lights. it sounds like the 777 flight computer has this “flight level change” mode which inhibits the autothrottle. they may have been in that mode and not realized it, since ordinarily you would change from that mode to ILS landing mode.

1 Like

just…wow

ahh, i misunderstood you re. the autolanding capabilities. thanks for the tips on airliners.net and PPRuNe, i’ve never seen their forums before =)

it seems like they would have been noticeably off the papi glideslope, visually i mean, long before they hit the water. maybe that is where the earliest call for power came from. lots of speculation about the autothrottles being engaged and not responding or disengaged unknowingly. it will be interesting to see the fdr data, it seems like it’s going to be an open and shut case at that point.

here’s another good link:

http://flyingprofessors.net/what-happened-to-asiana-airlines-flight-214-2/

3 Likes

based on the below link i just posted, they had never reached a ‘stabilized’ approach. they were never on the right glideslope.

That was really clear and helpful…thank you.

As one or both of the airline pilot bloggers I read have said, they usually don’t use autoland even if it is availible, as it is more work.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.