A brief history of US military intervention in Syria: "The Baby and the Baath-water"

[Permalink]

2 Likes

justice-by-bombs

I love that.

Meanwhile… I think we’re all waiting on what the plan is after Obama (now unilateraly) launches airstrikes on Syria.

Seriously, Obama… what’s the plan?

Hopefully to create a buffer zone. Wouldn’t want too see this scenario mushroom.

I think Kerry’s remarks were worth reading on that. There is no goal of settling anything in Syria. The goal is to send a message, and he mentions reassuring Israel, Jordan, Turkey, and Lebanon, and scaring Iran, Hezbollah, and North Korea. I don’t usually trust speeches, but that sounds likely enough to me.

Hopefully to create a buffer zone. Wouldn’t want too see this scenario mushroom.

Most experts say the airstrikes will mushroom the scenario and simply exacerbate the suffering. Why do you think bombing Syria will help anything?

2 Likes

I think Kerry’s remarks1 were worth reading on that. There is no goal of settling anything in Syria. The goal is to send a message, and he mentions reassuring Israel, Jordan, Turkey, and Lebanon, and scaring Iran, Hezbollah, and North Korea. I don’t usually trust speeches, but that sounds likely enough to me.

Kerry is a fucking liar. The more people research the Obama administration’s claims, the more we’re finding holes in their stories. This also goes for some of the mainstream media that parrots half-truths and lies as well.

It’s come out now that while Kerry (and oh so many dolts online here at boing boing and elsewhere) have said that Assad stalled 5 days or whatever before allowing in U.N. inspectors into the chemical strike areas, it now turns out there’s wasn’t any real delay at all.

The U.N. officially asked the Syrian government to inspect the site and Assad approved it right away and let them in. The way the U.S. government and the corporate media twisted it was going by when the U.N. first made a press release saying they were going to do it. When the U.N. officially contacted the Syrian government, they let them in shortly thereafter.

This 5 day delay bullshit has been used as a pretext for war by Kerry and many others. It’s based upon a half-truth LIE.

2 Likes

Look, I know, partisan speeches are usually worthless except when they admit something questionable. I certainly don’t mean to say you should believe anything of that sort from him.

What I thought was notable is that describing those horrors, he plainly says this is not about settling anything in Syria. What really counts is what what it shows other friends and enemies, with Israel and Iran called out at the top of each list.

To me that doesn’t sound like a good lie at all, if anything making this about the very countries cynics bring up and not Syrian civilians sounds like unintended honesty. So my inclination is to trust him on that point. Am I being stupid to read him this way?

I certainly don’t think you’re being stupid by any stretch. I just haven’t seen any evidence that bombing Syria will even accomplish those goals. Even if they sent in a surgical strike with SEALS that didn’t harm any civilians and took Assad out, I believe his followers would flip out and possibly make matters much worse. Remember when Saddam busted open all the oil fields? Imagine what these freaks will do when you piss them off.

Most of the rest of the world is coming to its senses and realizing an airstrike on a situation as complex as Syria will only enflame the situation. And, after the Iraq War blunder, there’s no way in hell Obama is going to convince Americans to put boots on the ground, either.

The poor, little war profiteers are just going to have to realize that they went way too far with their massively profitable war on Iraq. People are now skeptical and for damn good cause. This is also the blossoming of the information age where many no longer just sit and watch their TV to get their information (like in the good, old days). It’s much harder to pull off a profitable business venture war these days with mere fear and disinformation against a more informed, war-weary public.

I don’t mean to be critical, but you re-post the same images a lot in your posts. It gets kind of oppressive as a reader. How many additional times can we expect to see this, or the Democrats vs Republicans job graph, etc?

Maybe some variety would be good on a couple different levels.

1 Like

I think you may read the threads far more closely than most do. It’s like when one watches too much TV and sees the same commercials over and over. I think most readers probably only see that stuff once when they pop in on the occasional thread. But, I may be wrong on that and I’ll stop reposting the graph and stuff as much. I removed the picture above.

It is not that I think bombing Syria will change much in terms of human co-existence, it is that it can likely mushroom regardless of what foreign intervention is enacted.

You’re totally right, Cowicide! Another strange element being censored out of the government’s and corporate media’s narration is how an independent U.N. investigation found the rebels guilty of Sarin gas use in May. This is all fucking bullshit! It’s a total propaganda war - as usual. Chelsea Manning proved that there is NO transparency in the American government and hence is not to be trusted at all.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.