A case of discrimination based on white-passing status and assumed cultural appropriation

About ready to give up on BoingBoing, as I think Jeff Atwood’s system, while beautiful and brilliant, has encouraged the concern trolls to move in and take over. See: the Stormfront crack. Honestly. You’retryingtoohard.

If you’re not trolling, I think you missed the point entirely: The model, while white-passing, is Native American and agreed to the photoshoot. Seems proud of it. She can’t appropriate a culture she’s a member of. And I’m not sure how defending a Native American’s right to do with her body what she pleases makes me a white supremacist…maybe this is some of that feels logick I see so much of these days.

Meanwhile, her image is being used without her, or the photographer’s permission, to whine about white models wearing feathers in their hair. Did you catch the part where she’s Native American?

In the mad rush to decry yet another example of cultural appropriation, an image of an actual Native American has been labeled as cultural appropriation.

To me, well, let’s look at a hypothetical situation where Alicia Keys would decide to put out an album of old blues songs, and had people protesting her album for appropriating black culture because she could be considered white-passing.