A wall to keep the burners out

[Read the post]

2 Likes

@Cowicide - See a post about burners! oh waitā€¦ :smile:

5 Likes

sick bern

5 Likes

Setting the parody aside, can somebody explain why people burn a ton of wood just for fun? Havenā€™t they heard of global warming?

Just guessing, butā€¦

Iā€™d say likely it has something to do with reconnecting with our primal attraction to fire. That and creating things that you then destroy is a shout out to the nature of impermanence, like tibetan sand mandalas.

Ever sat around a camp fire with friends and played music? This is a festival based around taking that idea to the extreme.

I donā€™t know if they use sustainably grown wood, someone else will have to answer that aspect.

2 Likes

Not sure if Poe, but isnā€™t burning wood considered carbon neutral (for certain categories of wood, at least)?

Have you ever spent some time just watching a fire burn?
It is well worth the amount of wood consumed.
I suggest the experience, even if it is just a small camp-grade fire. You donā€™t have to burn down Dresden to appreciate a good fire. Even if the bigger the better.

Carbon this, carbon that, the greenies would love to spoil everybodyā€™s fun.

2 Likes

Given that Burning Man is largely a gathering place for rich white entitled San Franciscans I see this (parody) solution as a wonderful way to choke SF rent prices back down to realistic levels by walling out the richest and most privileged of the ā€˜Nouveau richeā€™ so we can get back to real business up on Nob Hill.

Given the temperatures out there, would burners be both homogenized and pasteurized?

2 Likes

Need to put up a wall around Portland, tooā€¦

Thatā€™s a lot of axes youā€™re grinding there!

But youā€™ve mostly the missed the boat on this one, Burning Man is (sadly) no longer primarily a San Francisco centric event, its pretty much global now. And hell, lots of the participants donā€™t even seem particularly ā€œprivilegedā€ or even ā€œwhiteā€ for that matter.

And if you want to bitch about the ā€œmost privileged of the ā€˜Nouveau richeā€™ā€ in SF, those folks mostly donā€™t go to Burning Man and have arrived in SF looong after Burning Man culture was a prime mover here.

But thanks for driving trollies. Its not at all tedious to read that sort of cliche rant against Burning Man. (eyes thoroughly rolled).

4 Likes

we donā€™t just burn a ā€œtonā€ of wood.

we burn TONS of woods.

And we burn thousands of gallons of diesel fuel to get that wood out there.

And once we get out there, we burn more diesel ā€“ and propane ā€“ to make it even more awesome.

ART does not yield to rationality

2 Likes

Burning gas or oil is taking carbon that has been sequestered for millions of years and dumping it into the atmosphere. The carbon from/in a wood fire is part of a short carbon cycle. It does put carbon dioxide back into the atmosphere, but only CO2 that was sequestered recently and itā€™ll shortly go back into plants.

Plus wood fires are wonderfully homely.

2 Likes

Citation needed.

3 Likes

ā€¦have you got an advance copy of my book?

3 Likes

#EXTREEEEEEEEEME CAAAAAAAMPING!

Also: artisinally-crafted ecstacy sā€™mores (playa dust flava).

honestly? Extreeeeeme caaaaamping is just glamping with more dust and less clothes.

3 Likes

Can I get the smores, sans ecstacy, in a plot next to a river? Sometimes I feel like I must be boring. A Belgian beer would be nice though.

3 Likes

ha!..in what universe?

ā€¦you would probably even make you own chocolate, marshmallows, and beer, from scratch.

2 Likes

Fuck arson! All you criminalsā€¦ Oh wait. Itā€™s a festival you say? Carry on then. Just donā€™t trash the desert. Carry in carry out and all. If you find any celebrities or tech entrepreneurs not following the self reliant / wilderness aesthetics pleas shame them into picking up their own trash. If BM does ever flame out and die at least the space could be equally well used for a live fire bombing range.

In the cold clear light of the next day, itā€™s obvious I missed an easy el-wire joke.

1 Like