Abducted by the Flying Spaghetti Monster, 1951

Illustrator Al Feldstein was divinely inspired to paint this piece of pastafarian religious artwork for the cover of the July, 1951 issue of Weird Tales, decades before the Flying Spaghetti Monster was revealed to the rest of humanity. Truly, he is a prophet! A 2005 artist’s replica of the painting sold at auction in 2008.… READ THE REST

1 Like

My favorite thing about old cover art and such like this is the assumptions the artists made hidden in the wacky. Like how, in this case, craaaaazy noodly aliens still wear pilot’s headsets.

1 Like

The expression on that guy’s face is hilarious. As is the artist’s awkward efforts to provide the requisite eye-candy with the woman’s body.

I collect SciFi pulps and this is another example of one of the things that I look for: women in tubes. It’s a surprisingly popular meme in scifi art. This one, however, has got to be one of the least sexy versions.

2 Likes

Feldstein’s EC covers were sublime. Mind you they all were. I didn’t realize that about women in tubes though. The stuff of Wertham’s feverish nightmares.

THEY HAD NOODLY APPENDAGES AND MEATBALLS!
The terrifying tale, page 15

1 Like

Correction: This was never a painting for Weird Tales, this was originally a drawing for Weird Fantasy #8. Weird Tales was a pulp fiction magazine, Weird Fantasy was a science fiction comic book. This painting is the 2005 recreation of the original drawing. This wasn’t painted in 1951, it was drawn.

1 Like

Never mind the flying spaghetti monster, what in the nine universes are those creatures in the sample tubes!?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.