Air plants look and act like they belong on another planet

[Permalink]

2 Likes

Plants make air, this plant also eats air. Are we looking at perpetual growth??? Will these alien plants soon take over all oxygen breathing life!? Good thing I’ve been stocking up on industrial strength herbicides.

2 Likes

Hmmm, if they are becoming popular, perhaps I need to start marketing a special Air Plant Spritz.
ingredients: water and trace minerals
(aka tap water)

2 Likes

For a moment there I thought you might be referring to Martian sawgrass.

2 Likes

On the 17th day of the month of September, in an early year of a decade not too long before our own…

1 Like

Oh they’ve been popular. I had a couple as a kid. What I want to know is if it’s possible to get them to root into your flesh? Tattoos are so 20th Century.

3 Likes

Why not go with carnivorous plants instead? Forget a plant that could root in flesh. Go with one that actually eats flesh.

Unfortunately most carnivorous plants are harder to grow than air plants.

1 Like

Sengo’s book looks like an excellent starter, but I’d also recommend checking out Paul Isley’s tillandsia books. The information is more technical, but the pictures are spectacular.

1 Like

Eh, I had a flytrap as a kid, it was unspectacular. I want something horrifying.

Some of the larger species of nepenthes have been known to eat jungle rats. How’s that for horrifying?

1 Like

Now you’re talkin!

1 Like

Yeah, but who wants to keep a cage full of jungle rats in the house just to feed the plants?

1 Like

2 Likes

No cage required…
Westchester Residents Say Neighbor Is Feeding Rodents, Causing Rat Infestation | KTLA
Saw this on the news this morning… While filming, there were rats running up and down the walls behind them – cute little buggers (but I am not their neighbor).

2 Likes

Patton Oswalt found out about the L.A. rats in 2009. (NSFW language)

3 Likes

Those are not jungle rats. Jungle rats are one step smaller then a ROUS.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.