Alan Turing's lost notes discovered as crumpled insulation in Bletchley Park huts

[Permalink]

1 Like

Must have been cold that year.

2 Likes

After the war ended, Churchill was leader of the Opposition, and was thus in no position to order anything. The election that Labour unexpectedly won was held in July 1945, and the war ended in August, so Attlee was the Prime Minister by the time the war ended. Unless you’re suggesting that Churchill ordered it some time in the 1950s, when he was back in office.

3 Likes

It is terrible what happened to Mr. Turing, I hold him in great respect.

3 Likes

Considered another way, his being thrown into the machine of intolerance along with people like MLK is perhaps the most powerful weapon contributing to it’s eventual demise. Martyrdom is the ultimate sacrifice to the martyred but it is also a poison pill to the killer. Terrible yes, but with powerful consequences once enlightenment begins to dawn.

2 Likes

When the govt tells you to destroy something, spirit it away instead. Such order is a fairly reliable marker of future museum pieces.

2 Likes

The war in Europe ended in May 1945, with the unconditional surrender of the German armed forces. (Hence VE – “Victory in Europe” – Day.)

So it could have been done on Churchill’s watch.

Though it’s probably irrelevant, as the linked article says the documents should have been destroyed “under wartime security rules”, so presumably while the war was still ongoing.

1 Like

Consider also that the British govt kept the crypto compromise secret, so they could listen to their “friends” to whom they gave the gift of captured Enigmas after the war.

Never trust a government. Double so for the “friendly” one.

…Political enemies are easier to handle than friends. If nothing else, they at least don’t act all butthurt when you don’t trust them.

2 Likes

Literally. Working conditions in the huts (staffed almost entirely by women) were famously awful - freezing in winter and stifling in summer. There are stories of huts full of women busy breaking codes in their underwear in the summer. [citation needed]

2 Likes

Perhaps you could point me at the bit of the original article where Cory refers to “After the war in Europe ended” rather than “After the war ended”. I must have missed it.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.