Amazon introduces wi-fi buttons to buy products

[Permalink]

Can’t wait to get my weed stash button.

7 Likes

It must suck to not live close to a Costco.

2 Likes

How aesthetically pleasing, and completely ridiculous.

1 Like

This seems, you know, a day early.

20 Likes

I think we can safely sum this up as…

BUY MORE SHIT!

2 Likes

I would have thought this was a joke. I can’t imagine the level of nerdiness/laziness/aesthetic ignorance/impatience that would compel somebody to stick these things on anything.

So odd.

5 Likes

It’s actually refreshingly nice not to live near Costco or Walmart, thank you. -NYer

5 Likes

I never would have been able to survive my first real winter and first real freezing and below freezing temps without both Costco and Amazon. Most of my basic layering items came from Costco, along with gloves, hats, a few scarves…

2 Likes

No thanks

Agree 100%

It must be awesome not to have two toddlers and a baby at your home.

3 Likes

Hey, man, that’s your own fault.

5 Likes

And the makers hack this in 3…2…1…

7 Likes

Not sure which of those I fit in, but… just requested an invite to get one (you get three, actually, according to the info). Even though I didn’t see anything in the pictured products we actually use, this kind of stuff fascinates me and I want to check it out. (assuming it’s not an early 4/1 joke–which I doubt as it’s not nearly over the top enough).

I can imagine such things being pretty practical in some cases. And what’s wrong on being lazy? (I’d see problems more in the maintenance requirement of the batteries inside. Though if the functionality is just wake-up-and-send-a-message when powered on, a CR2032 battery can last for a long time.) (Also, what’s wrong on being nerdy?)

Also, how would you define “aesthetic ignorance”?

3 Likes

Yes, but that’s why Amazon Prime and Prime Pantry are awesome. My wife doesn’t have to stress out as much dragging 3 crying screaming running-away unwillings through a echoing cavernous big-box store only to discover after 45 minutes that she’s forgotten her wallet at home on the diaper-changing table.

These buttons, though, are just weird.

And… interesting. I want to start seeing how they’re hacked. IF they are real.

1 Like

Also, how would you define “aesthetic ignorance”?

A tide button on your drier?? Philistine!

6 Likes

Yes, actually. :wink:

(However, I have no criticism of people using services that make their lives easier, such as those offered by Amazon.)

3 Likes

I didn’t see any from the inside yet. I assume there will be some minimalistic SoC with a function of “connect to wifi, send a http request, power self off”. If you can replace the HTTP request somehow, you got a pretty useful thing - even before adding ability to sense or toggle GPIOs of the chip inside.

On a home network, they could work well as event generators. You don’t even have to hack the token itself; just redirect the DNS for the Amazon’s take-order-from-the-button server to your own, and attach events to the URLs fetched.

I wonder if they encrypt the communication; the SoC used is likely to be cheap and anemic. If not, it could be fairly easy (if the underlying wifi key is broken, or if there is some other omission, or if the upling is sniffed or the auth token database that maps requests to users is compromised) to order a truck of washing powder to the victim.

3 Likes