Amazon's 100 Children's Books to Read in a Lifetime

[Permalink]

1 Like

D’Aulaires’ Book of Greek Myths and From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler. I am satisfied.

1 Like

List fails without “Computational Fluid Mechanics and Heat Transfer”.

4 Likes

Ah the little prince! I recently read this with my son. I’d read this book more than a couple of times but still, coming back to it after all these years, its heartbreaking realizing how much of what I took away from it has such a different meaning now.

Its pretty awesome/horrifying/awesome how that 30 year difference (not gap, just difference) is brought into stark relief against the backdrop of a children’s book.

(Interestingly enough, my son showed his mother the picture of a snake eating an elephant, and she said it looked like a hat. I wonder what I would have said if I hadn’t read it either?)

1 Like

Didn’t see The Hobbit there… Unless I missed it.

Nothing by Daniel Pinkwater? Seriously? And, um, Call of the Wild is a terrific book, but really not a kids’ book.

1 Like

I assume that it was the abominable Disney movies that eroded the popularity of Mary Poppins and Peter Pan (though Pooh somehow survived).

I still own copies of several. Not disappointed by the list.

Pinkwater is a must. I regularly re-read The Snarkout Boys books and Lizard Music.
I’d also toss in the Homer Price books for more “vintage” reads…

3 Likes

You can’t go too far wrong with the Caldecott and Newbery award lists, although some of them are better than others and appeal to a different set of tastes.

The Paper Bag Princess - now there’s a kickarse picture book. I should really pick up copies for my nieces.

The Bad Beginning had to stand in for all 13 Lemony Snicket books. My son loved those so much, and now that he’s in high school he’s reading them all over again.

Agreed. PbP inspired me to start gender-swapping other stories/books, which I now do on a regular basis as I’m reading to the kids.

Also, list compilers are tricky - many of those books are firsts in series, so you think you’re done at 100, but wait! there’s more!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.