America outdoes itself with not one but two school shootings in a single day

You know what I mean.

Doing something means doing something,

Mental illness is the issue, not guns.

1 Like

Mental illness is by no means limited to the United States. The sheer number of gun deaths per 100,000 people, however, is…

And there are cases of folks who are not mentally ill by any modern definition who still carry out these shootings.

Right, guns are not the problem. Guns which are designed to spray a large crowd of people with hollow-point bullets in mere seconds are the problem. Guns which can fire more than 2 shots without having to reload are the problem.

A dude with a muzzle-loader is probably going to only get off one shot before someone in that crowd smacks him in the face with a heavy, blunt object, just like the framers of the 2nd amendment envisioned.

4 Likes

Citizens of the USA, i guess.

I’m afraid I might be overgeneralising, since I don’t live there, and my experience of your gun problem is through whatever snippets of your tv I get and the internet, but I haven’t seen a proper demonstration there in forever. Your gun problem is seriously fucked up, and no other developed nation has it.

My view is that it’s a particular type of mental illness that is native to American culture.

Search “Terence McKenna culture is not your friend” on YouTube and you may see what I’m on about.

I believe Brazil has similar problems.

“Mentall illness” is far too broad a category to lay the blame on. It’s barely half a step away from the tired old “guns don’t kill people, people kill people” bullshit while managing to stigmatize mental illness and those who suffer from it.

“To put it in perspective, you’re 14 times more likely to die of flesh-eating disease than be killed by a stranger suffering severe mental illness. In the U.S., the odds of being killed by a firearm in any given year is 1 in 25,000 — or 572 times more likely.”

“In a 2001 Canadian study, researchers found that only three percent of violent crimes were attributable to people with severe mental illness who were not also substance abusers.”

http://psychcentral.com/news/2015/04/09/anger-issues-not-mental-illness-may-be-more-apt-bar-to-owning-guns/83330.html

4 Likes

Christ. That’s heartbreaking. I don’t know how any Americans can live in and cope with a culture/society that’s so gun-ridden, violent and terrifying, whether they’re gun fans/users or not.

2 Likes

Anger issues not mental health?

You are going to have to have a better basis for your argument.

Feel free to write to the behavioral science PhDs involved in the study and let them know.

6 Likes

Expecting this to be some sort of singleton stranger-on-stranger (or close it) confrontation gone wrong. Had they not been armed (either as self protection, as a public service to others, or just for the fun of it) the confrontation would have involved fists at most.

Purely guessing at this point. But the more armed we get, the more singleton shootings you’ll see.

Next time you’re at a football game or tailgating, look around - some of those assholes have carry permits*

*how many depends on your state.

1 Like

That would help?

And they are opening fire on each other?

Oh so it’s ok if a bunch of innocent folk were murdered? I’m not sorry to say fuck this attitude. Fuck this attitude in the ear.

4 Likes

Other countries have mentally ill people. Other countries don;t have more than one mass shooting per day. Your move.

11 Likes

Also, way to demonise a HUGE amount of the population.

10 Likes

Hey look, a right-winger waving their hands and distracting while not doing anything about anything. (People want to do something, and you’re afraid of that.)

Seriously, what absolute human scum to use mental illness as a prop and then align yourself with the same people who diminish social services to those that are mentally ill.

But hey, if it keeps people away from gun control, you’ll be as insincere as you can possibly be.

15 Likes

Welcome to the United States.
Normal people may should find the following content disturbing

ETA - It gets relevant around the 2:00 mark

It’s interesting because the two actual school shootings appear to be the result of students who got into arguments and one or more of them happened to be armed on campus, turning a shouting match into a shooting match. The argument for more guns on campus to reduce school shootings is suddenly looking even more shaky…

10 Likes

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/10/idaho-teen-threatened-to-kill-all-the-girls-because-cheerleaders-wouldnt-send-him-any-freaking-nudes/#.VhZ3n-NKM8E.twitter

There was also a plot thwarted in Pocatello, Idaho today.

Databases that track gun homicides, such as the National Center for Health Statistics, similarly show that fewer than 5% of the 120 000 gun-related killings in the United States between 2001 and 2010 were perpetrated by people diagnosed with mental illness.

(via http://ajph.aphapublications.org/doi/pdfplus/10.2105/AJPH.2014.302242 [PDF], citing CDC statistics available here)

But don’t let facts get in the way of a good red herring.

7 Likes

I think people are often referring to the more publicised mass shootings like those at schools rather than general gun violence when they cite underlying mental issues as the problem. After all, a number of the famous examples had definite psychological problems. On the other hand, they were also mainly white men of a similar age and not badly off - so not really a demographic that is more likely than most to have undiagnosed and untreated mental illnesses. You really need to look at the culture-level ‘mental illness’ to see why these mentally ill people acted in this way, while others don’t.

3 Likes