America outdoes itself with not one but two school shootings in a single day

I think within the article they were directly including angry people in the group of at-risk persons, but hadn’t they been put on record as being mentally ill, so nothing could be done to stop them having access to guns.

You read something into my statements that aren’t there.

My point is; more legal positioning regarding gun control does nothing to stop a nutter getting a gun, which are readily available outside of the law, and firing it downrange.

Legal deterrents don’t work in America, for some reason.

President my point.

Terence McKenna has a lot to say about that.

Diagnosed bro.

Diagnosed.

You’ve made a career of mis reading my posts then give yourself permission to be extremely rude while I make clear points about legal means for gun control not working…and pointing in other directions for answers.

Logically, gun control did not stop these incedents from occurring.

I suggest American culture is a culprit, much like it produces all manner of other aberrations, it seems to make people angry in large numbers.

You could try being more polite to people who’s views you don’t share, but you have different ideas about that too.

1 Like

But lack of gun control 100% enabled many of them.

There should not be, and there is no need for, a legal right to guns. End of discussion.

9 Likes

Paraphrased from the other thread:
You can’t keep a gun for protection and store it responsibly. Not possible.

So… what were you keeping the gun for, again?

5 Likes

Not protection.

There are other reasons you’ve already said you don’t want to hear about. So I won’t bother.

I’m not advocating that, but guns are legal, like cigarettes in many ways ( which kill many more people than the types of guns in discussion here) and so playing bureaucrat with bits of paper doesn’t help, because all the law-abiding types are already not shooting others.

It’s criminals and nutters who are the problem.

1 Like

So how come we don’t have massacres like this in the UK? Do we have fewer people with mental illnesses? Do we have fewer criminals? What could it be? Oh wait, we have vastly fewer guns. This isn’t difficult. The places where guns are controlled and managed and restricted have vastly fewer massacres on this scale, to the point where in the UK, if someone outside the criminal circles is even shot with any kind of gun, let alone killed, it will likely be national news.

America has a serious and disgusting problem with guns. Get rid of the guns and the problem will be reduced. And that is a fact.

9 Likes

Why doesn’t Switzerland have these problems then?

Different culture.

Called it.

3 Likes

Of course you’re correct that vastly fewer guns would lead to less gun crime.

The problem (from your position) is that our culture won’t allow wholesale bans or similar measures.

A German model might work here, but just think what the righties will say when they find out it was Germany’s idea!

Obviously gun law needs to change, but the NRA doesn’t allow it yet. That needs solving, but again, the NRA is a cultural problem. We can’t fix laws until they’re out of the way, their lobbyists are simply too well-funded and good at their jobs.

You seem to feel it’s a simple matter. It isn’t.

It’s a complex problem with lots of moving parts. Sick people are a part. Gun laws are a part. Patriotic tradition is a part. Legitimate gun use is a part. And obviously the fucking NRA is a big part.

These all need addressing if a solution is to work.

2 Likes

Yeah, we all did in that thread. It’s sick and it’s sad. The issue is guns, mental health, assholes, and asshole politicians. Until we take their guns away, the crazies are gonna use them and the crazies in power are going to stick up for them.

2 Likes

Sick people are a TINY part. You say the NRA is the problem, but you’re spouting their lies.

Fuck the NRA. I don’t care about them or their views or their money. Too many people are getting murdered at their hands. The NRA should be held liable.

9 Likes

I agree with you, but our legislators make the laws, and they are beholden to the NRA. Until that changes, we will still have the problem.

Source: Here and now.

Why???

1 Like

I don’t believe the report. Everyone knows that guns aren’t allowed on college or high school campus’ so this is impossible. You can’t get any more restrictive than “No guns permitted”.

So are you saying columbine didn’t happen?

Hey, now you’re coming around to something useful.

There’s the why of the NRA being so powerful, and there’s the why of the NRA having excellent lobbyists and lots of money, and there’s the why of lobbyists having so much power in the legislative realm in the first place.

These need fixing and it’s not an easy fix.

If you think it is an easy fix, it would be nice to hear real-world things that can be done to push things in the right direction.

Just shouting “Get rid of the guns!” isn’t helpful, because we already know that’s not working. The system must change, and so must the culture, and so must the laws.

It’s a complex problem.