An awesome cast iron dutch oven for camping

[Permalink]

4 Likes

CSB: uncle in law is a pro river guide. He has four of these style, and his (admittedly low brow) lasagne made in one is always fantastic. Lots of crispy bits.

5 Likes

Oh, I bet. One of my favorites in this also pulled pork. Extremely simple. Cornish game hens takes a bit of knowing how your oven heats and how many coals to use (err towards over, not under cooking) but they are a ton of fun too.

3 Likes

A great addition to a dutch oven is a stand:

Another nice thing with these is making French bread rounds inside.
Using the Jim Lahey no knead recipe, theyare the perfect vessel for baking in your oven.
I just put it right on the oven floor and pre-heat it at the same time.

3 Likes

Ours has a smooth side under the lid. We flip it over for pancakes and burgers. A multi-tasker…

3 Likes

Bingo!

3 Likes

Great for car camping, but car camping really isn’t my usual style. I’m a backcountry hiker.

My “go to” cook-pot is the Stanco grease strainer. It boils enough water to reconstitute a single-serving dehydrated meal and make a cup of tea, and weighs less than a quarter-pound in the pack. Add an alcohol stove, a spork, a cup, and a cozy, and there’s a complete backpacker’s kitchen. I’ve even used it to bake muffins.

2 Likes

At one of the hostels I stayed at in Australia, the owners had 2 of these things. Made the best damper bread ever.

They do .make outstanding bread. One tip, never open one with your arm over the area where steam vents. I cooked three square inches of arm that way.

1 Like

Wow, funny this was posted on bb today; just last night I gave my girlfriend a dutch oven as a present. I’m not sure of the exact volume, but it must have been at least six quarts…

7 Likes

Yeah, goes without saying.

But I did meet a guide that does hike this oven in, along with meat and wine and such. He is a chef that gets paid by well to do tourists.

1 Like

How well does the quality of the newer production compare with the 15-year-old oven?

In Maine, lumberjack cooks would put jeweler’s rouge on the rim and then put the lid on and rotate it, until the seal was ground flat. Then, they could bury a mess of lumberjack beans in a fire-pit without dirt and ash getting in.

4 Likes

That brings back memories of a Scoutmaster trying to make mini-pizzas in a dutch oven. The result was more of a crispy casserole, but extremely tasty.

3 Likes

I think these folks are doing truck’n’trailer camping. Instead of getting away from it all, you take it all with you. Cast iron is great for cooking, but it weighs a ton.

1 Like

That would have helped the Voyageurs tremendously! But then again, ash was just about all the seasoning they would get during the trip.

Mmmmmmmmm, crispy casserole.

1 Like

Since we know antique cast iron is better, here’s where you can get some vintage dutch ovens:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=&_osacat=976&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR7.TRC1.A0.H0.Xvintage+dutch+oven.TRS0.G|1|0&_nkw=vintage+dutch+oven&_sacat=976

Just go to your local army navy store and ask for one. They usually have them and they are cheap! No shipping cost.

1 Like