Anthrax letters now on display

[Permalink]

I think they closed and demolished the entire mail sorting center that handled those letters. Too bad they chemically treated those letters when they could have been irradiated. Keep in mind those spores are common in nature, just not in large infectious does.

(Reads post title) Why yes! Yes, they are.

3 Likes

See a physician immediately if your hair gets really large.

1 Like

Does the display identify the US biowarfare lab that the anthrax came from, or the history of the “investigation” into the potential senders? Or at least discuss the effects the anthrax letters had on increasing the 9/11 terrorism panic?

3 Likes

I too would be really curious to know what the display could possibly say. The Smithsonianmag.com writeup doesn’t mention anything except the fact that the box & letters are present – and considering the exhibit is about the postal service invesitaging postal crimes, its obvious why they’d want to leave out the fact that whoever (or whatever) mailed these letters has pretty much gotten away with it.

Wikipedia :“The NAS committee released its report on February 15, 2011, concluding that it was “impossible to reach any definitive conclusion about the origins of the anthrax in the letters, based solely on the available scientific evidence”. The report also challenged the FBI and U.S. Justice Department’s conclusion that a single-spore batch of anthrax maintained by Ivins at his laboratory at Fort Detrick in Maryland was the parent material for the spores in the anthrax letters.” "

Alot of things about 9/11 can only be remembered, but for sure i remember alot of the security state being established around the need for protection against the anthrax-mailings, more than 9/11 itself.

I found the actual exhibit this is a part of. At the National Postal Museum, the exhibit is called “Behind the Badge: The U.S. Postal Inspection Service” and has three parts to it:

• Postal Inspection Service
• Case Histories
• Consumer Awareness

Case Histories is what the anthrax information falls under in a section called “Dangerous Mail”. It looks like the display will be about the forensics work used on the letters, and how people can be aware of what might constitute “dangerous mail” should they encounter it themselves.

And they kept their name, the insensitive clods

1 Like

No. The Brentwood facility is still around – it was closed for a few years and was renovated, but it is still around and is now renamed Curseen-Morris Mail Processing and Distribution Center after the two postal workers who died.

Well I think at one point the Post said they were planning to demolish it.

Another cool name for a band could be
“Suspicious White Powder”

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.