Arcade cabinet enthusiasts discover trove of 50+ games in ship, derelict for 30 years

[Read the post]

5 Likes

Is there a Phaeton in that awesome find?

2 Likes

I don’t know why, but I had the strongest sense of deja vu while reading this article.

If you are ever in the Bay Area, look up the pinball museum in Alameda, it won’t disappoint.

9 Likes

Just like the film Ghost Ship!

And a very long extension cord.

8 Likes

I never did get to the pinball museum, but I did get out to the Musée Mécanique out on Fisherman’s Wharf a couple of times. Lots of fun.

1 Like

there’s a pinball museum in vegas, too, and it’s great. it’s now is a reason to go to vegas, as far as i’m concerned.

6 Likes

I want better pics and a list of what was saved. I think Missile Command was there…

6 Likes

Having seen what the interior of boats, buildings, cars, soda machines, and electronic devices look like after sitting on or near salt water for even just a decade without maintenance I can’t imagine these things were in particularly good condition.

3 Likes
10 Likes

Or perhaps Polybius?

5 Likes

Alameda also has its own vintage video game treasure trove:
http://www.highscoresarcade.com
Between the pinball museum, vintage video games, and indoor miniature golf at Subpar, Alameda is a fun day trip for the family.

3 Likes

Look at the photo - they found a Polybius! From the looks of the side-art, it’s the South American version, oddly enough.

3 Likes

Seattle’s got a great one near the International District, also: http://www.seattlepinballmuseum.com/

2 Likes

I hope they inform the Strong Museum Of Play here in Rochester; restoring and preserving those games and others like them is literally their mission statement, so I imagine that they’d have some helpful experience.

1 Like

Sit-down Tail Gunner! Man, my best score ever in a coin-op game was in sit-down tail gunner. I must have played for 30 minutes on one quarter (or two?) to the point that I had a crowd around me.

Alas, I’m still waiting for my invitation from the Star League.

7 Likes

Might be able to find a rich madman or guild to pay you for your services in Star Citizen when it releases :slight_smile: Gonna put all those stick based skills to work, these game pad raised millenials better watch out

1 Like

This cardboard pinball Pinbox 3000 was all the rage w/ the kids at maker fair.

1 Like

unfortunately, being arcade enthusiasts, the crane they used was only able to rescue 1 out of every 20 game machines…

26 Likes