Archive.org's scanning center destroyed by fire

[Permalink]

I hope they were well insured and continue their work.

Edit: I should point out they are a charitable org and could always use support -

What help could we use?

• Funding. Your donations will help us rebuild the scanning capabilities in books, microfilm, and movies.
6 Likes

This is what happens when you try to scan and digitize Fahrenheit 451! :slight_smile: (too soon?)

Seriously though, archive.org is awesome, i hope they can recover quickly.

4 Likes

O please really $600,000 , A disposable digital camera is not worth that much

1 Like

destroyed the book, film and microfilm scanning center

Who knows what kind of specialized gear they had for scanning in film and microfilm properly. The post says “high end digitization equipment”.

1 Like

“No data has been lost.”
hooray for multiple copies!

2 Likes

That’s…odd.

I drove by that building yesterday. Pulled over and took pictures (with my new Fuji X-10). A building I have driven by a thousand times without giving it a second thought. And…I’m a SF fireman.

Hope they get back on their feet quickly.

5 Likes

To say this is terrible would be an understatement. I only hope that no original documents were lost in the blaze.

Have they yet ruled out arson?

3 Likes

Proof that no matter how much the Internet is seen as some sort of lofty cyber-construction floating in space, it is still subject to the elements, including fire - I haven’t uploaded to or visited Archive.Org in years, but this is obviously a sad loss.

2 Likes

Actually the destroyed stuff in question is not the cyber construction. It’s the physical equipment used to turn physical objects into part of that cyber construction.

The cyber construction is still safe. It’s physical objects related to scanning physical objects that were destroyed.
So… no.

1 Like

Uh-oh… sounds like you have strayed in to Stephen King territory.

2 Likes

I think I might know who’s behind this.

2 Likes

“seeking scanning work” to keep people employed… Look, I know this is small potatoes - but could they offer scanning / digitization of personal stuff at discounted rates? Assuming it wouldn’t go into the Internet Archive, I think some people might pay to have scads of old photos or slides scanned and converted but they don’t want the 25 annual versions of Uncle Bob with the Christmas ornament earrings to become and Internet meme.

1 Like

Or Bradbury. “Fire-man” indeed.

Donated, archive.org is amazing.

Exactly! My first thought was hoping nothing irreplaceable (document-wise) was burned up.

I’d be interested in knowing what their scanning setup was like. Obviously, they had the ability to scan a lot, and very quickly.

1 Like

Yeah, surely there were some original documents there. What a nightmare.

About that Rick Prelinger guy: if you haven’t seen this, you have to check it out. If you live in San Francisco, as I, alas, no longer do, keep an eye peeled for one of his “Lost Landscapes of San Francisco” events, usually at the Castro.

My first thought was of flammable celluoid film stock, but I would think professional archivists would know how to handle that stuff.

Are you one of these firemen?

1 Like

The difference between your ‘disposable digital camera’ and the setup needed to quickly and accurately process the digitization of multiple media formats is the difference between a cheezburger from MickeyD’s and a multicourse dining experience at Delmonico’s.

Sorry if I missed the /sarcasm tag.