Asian carp in Chicago

[Permalink]

It’s kind of cute.

They can eat 40% of their own bodyweight in a day and have a dangerous fondness for jumping out of the water and, occasionally, smacking humans in the head when they do so.

Apparently my brother-in-law is an Asian Carp.

7 Likes

Just curious…did that Chicago guy’s idea for an Asian Carp food joint ever take off?

1 Like

I clicked the cut excited to read a brief summary of “charismatic invasive species” and found nothing. WHAT GIVES?

1 Like

Those must be the fish that they farm for the ‘googly eyes’ sold at craft stores for children’s gluing-stuff-to-stuff projects…

1 Like

I too would like to hear what he means by “charismatic”. Maggie can you elaborate?

We’ll see how charismatic they are when they get into the Great Lakes and decimate the sport and what’s left of the commercial fishing industries.

In the same way we talk about charismatic megafauna, these are kind of the invasive species equivalent of that – big, fascinating creatures that everybody wants to talk about while they ignore invasives that are less telegenic.

They might create a new type of sport fishing… With their legendary leaping ability the proper fishing equipment might consist of a catcher’s uniform and mitt (catch and release). If you are trying to catch supper, then a nice aluminum bat might be just the tool to make your “catch”.

Sell the rights to McD’s: unlimited Filet-o-Fish! Srsly, we overfish everything else; unless these fish taste terrible, we should be able to eat them somehow. Remember when tilapia were junk fish?

Even if they do, a few bleaching agents should turn them into ‘Standardized Homogeneous Protein Slurry: Non-Essential Population Grade Foodstuff’, a snack sure to keep the underclass toiling with energy and vigor.

2 Likes

I think that they are supposed to be rather tasty…
Yep:

The Asian carp, in fact, is a clean fish that feeds on plankton and algae in the upper water of rivers. It's rich in protein and low in mercury because it doesn't eat other fish. The tender flesh lacks a "fishy" taste, so it easily absorbs the flavors of sauces, spices and herbs cooked with it.
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.