Aussie politician calls rival a "c*nt" in Parliament, gets away with it

[Permalink]

What a lovely guy…

By the way, the “Continue the discussion” button in this page was almost entirely covered by the page footer bar (in Chrome on Mac). Doesn’t seem to happen on any other pages.

2 Likes

What a cupid stunt.

2 Likes

Isn’t that word (which I’ll avoid writing since I’m pretty sure it’s specifically mentioned in the rules here), much more acceptable in Australia? More like saying prick or jerk? Maybe douchebag.

1 Like

The headline is not the way I see it: he didn’t get away with it. He was immediately pulled up by the Speaker and withdrew the remark.

@Jardine, it is pretty strong, but it is probably used a lot more here than I ever heard it when I lived in the US for 7 years. Perhaps the greater regularity of use gives you the impression that it’s not strong, but I think it’s more that people here (Down Under) are much less likely than Americans to restrain ourselves.

2 Likes

Not from where I am. It’s seen as pretty bad. You could get away with it in a pub or something, but not in an offical polical setting. Pollies have been reprimanded for a lot less.

1 Like

Nope, not at all. Bishop told Bill Shorten (leader of the opposition) to sit down.
And for using the word “cunt”, Pyne should’ve been ejected from the chamber. But that’s Australian parliament today. Our government are truly a pack of assholes.

4 Likes

Well, everyone is a little tense here at the moment. With budget cuts, tax rises and the alike.

Besides, wouldn’t be a normal day here in Australia if you weren’t referred to, or referring someone as; a cunt.
It’s almost a term of endearment now.

1 Like

It’s incorrect to say that the Speaker doesn’t intervene: she plainly tells Pyne to refer to Members by their proper names, and he withdraws the remark. She doesn’t seem terribly excited by the utterance, but she doesn’t need to be; if Pyne had escalated or refused to withdraw the remark, then stiffer sanctions would certainly have been applied.

Not at all. He’s claiming he said “grub”. The post facto justification attempt is strong with the whiney Mr Pyne.

1 Like

He was pulled up for referring to the leader of the opposition by name rather than title - as is procedure. The speaker didn’t refer to the “country member” comment.

1 Like

For context, the Speaker Bronwyn Bishop, who is supposed to be the impartial moderator of parliament, has ejected members of the left(ish) Labor party over 100 times, Dryfus was once bizarrely ejected for saying “madam speaker”, which is the correct way to address her. The number of times she’s ejected members of the right wing Liberal party you ask? Zero. Her bias is truly absurd.

5 Likes

Sir Winton Turnbull a Country Party member was once speaking in the Aussie parliament and said
“I’m a Country member”
to which the then Prime Minister Gough Whitlam quickly replied: “Yes, we remember”.

6 Likes

Had he said “you’re such a dick” to the other guy, it wouldn’t seem so bad to me somehow. Likewise, if he had said that to a woman, I’d find it much more offensive. Words are weird…

That was a term of endearment.

Much better is the story of Gough Whitlam, whose political rival was once ranting and raving, finally exclaiming “I’m a Country Member!” Whitlam interjected, “I remember.”

2 Likes

As others point out he doesn’t quite “get away with it”. There is a long history of rude language in the Aussie parliament. I warmly recall Bob Hawke referring to “the scumbag opposite” (which was quite accurate). The Aussies just don’t seem to be as squeamish about the way people talk. It’s a lot more honest I think.

Meanwhile Wikipedia has an entertaining list of Unparliamentary language which makes it seem that Australia is not the worst offender in this regard.

1 Like

Asshole is unparliamentary language…

Damn! I should always read the thread before posting…

It’s so typical of the liberal media to report this without first doing their research: how about you dig up Bill Shorten’s medical records and see if he really IS a “c*nt”, hmmm?