Australian man travels to Thailand to track down his scammers

If you can spare the time and are so inclined: talk to them at length, make them repeat their pitch over and over again etc until they hang up. This can be fun!
(I once got a guy trying to sell me wine so worked up after 30 minutes that he started swearing at me. Which was my cue to act all hurt and shocked and end the call.)
They may even give you up as a bad job permanently.
Works with Jehova’s Witnesses too.

2 Likes

And a better time was rarely had. I have delighted in this as well, but I recommend you prepare a friend/SO prior to the cold call so that, at the appropriate time during the call, they can boost the crazy.

Caller: We're a global financial services grou-- Me: Oh, pardon me one second! [Yelling at someone else in the room] TOUCH THAT HAMMER AND I WILL MURDER YOU!!! [Back to caller in an utterly composed voice] Yes, you said you were with Globo-Corp? They're a family company, right? Friend/SO: [whimpering in background] you said I could have the brain though, you said...
II have been amazed how much crazy the cold callers will withstand before they give up or figure out they're being put on. My friend and I had one on the line for quite the rumble as we practically destroyed the basement in a mock fight--they stayed on the line until I slammed an old pan on the workbench to simulate a pistol blast. There is always the thought that some other poor bastard has worked themselves into a shitty cold-calling job and the nonsense is essentially costing them money (depending upon the payment scheme, I suppose). But that guilt lasts ever so briefly.
1 Like

Yes! Brilliant! I’ll try that. I’ll probably won’t have someone around but having a playlist of suitable mp3s on the desktop should do the trick…

BTW, some time ago when mobile phones started to be a thing, we sometimes did this:
In a public place someone would discreetly phone somebody else so his phone would ring. He would pretend to take the call, fake a polite conversation in a low voice for a few moments and then yell stuff like NO! I WANT HIM DEAD! YOU HEAR ME? DEAD!
The hard part was always keeping a straight face through all of this…

1 Like

It’s noticeable that the first portion of the film discusses his due diligence with the first set of companies he’s investing in, and he also takes the time to point out that the expected margins on those first investments were fairly in line with standard profit amounts (9%, 12%, or around that area). From which point he jumps into the 100k deal with dudes promising crazy returns. I wonder why that seemed like the normal course of events to him?
As for his courage about the matter, the guy DID go to confront the alleged criminals. To me, “having cojones” in the metaphorical sense means that every now and again a person will completely disregard the wisest or most rational course of action and boldly go where he can’t speak the language and is likely to be whupped up and down the street. And yet he went. Tough luck about the money, but hey, he’s apparently got marketable FCP skilz, right? And if the corner deli ever shorts you on the chip order, you know who to send.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.