Auto-brewery syndrome: A medical mixed blessing if I ever heard of one

Home brewers now have these “super feast” varieties that are turbo charged.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/review/product/list/id/5149/category/15/

I have heard of this autointoxication happening on Native American Reservations where alcoholics use these yeasts to brew high proof wine and beer in nothing but a bucket. it keeps brewing in their guts and they stay drunk for days.

You’re assuming that’s the route the yeast took to get into the intestines. It’s possible that it was introduced from the other end of the digestive tract.

1 Like

That was my first thought, too. I can’t imagine why anyone would want to do that, but people do all kinds of things I don’t understand all the time.

Alcoholics have died from wine enemas. They want to get drunk but like many drunks they have ulcers and their stomachs have perforated and been repaired, so if they drink they will die. So they take a big box wine enema and it works way better than they expected.

You’re referring to Dr Barbara Cordell, PhD, RN, Dean of Nursing at a small college, as “an aromatherapist”. golf clap

Do you also refer to Richard Feynman as “a bongo drummer”?

The sitting still is largely to slow down the fermentation - hence why some people get magnetic stir plates to make really vigorous yeast starters.

Still not quite getting it; the carbohydrates in your gastrointestinal system go away too quickly to ferment.

Ah, I see your point.

Dunno about anyone else but I replenish my GI carbohydrate supply fairly regularly - probably about 5 fairly regularly spaced helpings of carbs a day.

You’re referring to Dr Barbara Cordell, PhD, RN, Dean of Nursing at a small college, as “an aromatherapist”.

Shrug. She refers to herself in those terms (along with “holistic nursing”). She espouses a counter-reality form of quackery; she offers to train other people in “clinical aromatherapy” as a treatment for AIDS and cancer. For me, this impacts upon her credibility. YMMV.

Do you also refer to Richard Feynman as “a bongo drummer”?

If – to improve the analogy – Richard Feynman believed in Flat-Earth theory and young-Earth creationism, then I would refer to him as such.

From http://www.ahna.org/AboutUs/WhatisHolisticNursing/tabid/1165/Default.aspx
“Holistic nurses may integrate complementary/alternative modalities (CAM) into clinical practice to treat people’s physiological, psychological, and spiritual needs. Doing so does not negate the validity of conventional medical therapies…”

So if aromatherapy helps people feel nurtured, keep up their spirits, maintain an appetite, etc., in the face of disease and treatments with difficult side effects, then integrating it into their overall course of care is valid.

Do you consider medicinal marijuana for chemo patients to be “a counter-reality form of quackery” in which MJ is used as “a treatment for cancer”? Or can you agree that not all medical treatment has to be directed laser-like at the root cause of a disease, ignoring utterly the human soul at the center of it all, in order to be medically legitimate?

Of course not. Marijuana is not a placebo. Aromatherapy is.
Cordell’s medical specialty consists of lying to patients about the benefits of aromatic oils.

So, does looking at ducklings have a specific mechanism of action on polio? Or is it simply that it’s pleasant and increases subjective wellbeing, which is itself medically beneficial?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.