Baby trapped in car turns out to be realistic doll

[Read the post]

So who gets to pay for the smashed window since there was no reason to break it?

3 Likes

The citizen, who should be grateful for having their property destroyed in the name of safety!

Also, as the parent of a small child, my guess is that it was insisted that the baby doll get to sit in the seat while parent and child went in to shop.

5 Likes

There was a reason.

8 Likes

Thatā€™s one possibility, but thereā€™s also a whole subculture of adults who buy these ultra-realistic baby dolls and fuss over them as if they are real children.

Whichever the case, I think the lesson is ā€œdonā€™t leave a lifelike baby doll locked in a hot car if you donā€™t want people to react as if thereā€™s a baby locked in your hot car.ā€ Same goes for pointing ultra-realistic-but-non-functional-firearms at police officers.

Edit to add: BoingBoing did a feature on that subculture last March.

And also: This is just the latest example of emergency responders breaking a window to rescue a hyper-realistic doll they mistook for a real baby. If you take one out in public, itā€™s best to assume other people will think itā€™s real until they have reason to believe otherwise.

9 Likes

I think there is a fair chance that the doll is not a childā€™s toy. Perhaps something much sadder.

1 Like

A toy? Or was itā€¦ a corpse?

Or, well, just any L shaped stick, given how things are goingā€¦

6 Likes

Yeah, blame the victim.

1 Like

I would rather they leave their re-borns in the car than carry them around with them or push them around in prams or strollers. Seriously icky man, so gross. :confused:

1 Like

Here in the Toronto area, that would be a great way to get away with using the HOV lane during rush hour (2 or more people required in the car, but babies count as a person).

2 Likes

Heh. First hit, Toronto:

Hereā€™s someone using a doll:

3 Likes

Thatā€™s my guess. Babies also count for California carpools, too, which amuses me. It was probably the one time the person left it (or maybe fourth?), so karma if this is what happened ($450+ fine)?

1 Like

Iā€™m having a hard time finding fault with the emergency responders. They reacted exactly the way they were supposed to given that they had every reason to believe a childā€™s life was in imminent danger. Itā€™s not like they freaked out over a Cabbage Patch Kidā€”those ā€œre-bornā€ dolls are freaky realistic.

7 Likes

Thatā€™s why you gotta spend the extra bit to get the hyperrealistic doll. ā€œShhh, officer, sheā€™s sleepingā€

6 Likes

Just so long as they cover them with a blanket or leave them in the trunk so no passersby have reason to think thereā€™s a baby baking to death. Unattended carseat baby on hot day = justifiable public freak-out.

4 Likes

Except it doesnā€™t have to be L-shaped. Or a stick.

4 Likes

You canā€™t do that! Theyā€™ll SUFFOCATE!

4 Likes

ā€œLook, just because I made a hyper-realistic fake fire in the back row, there was no reason for everybody to freak out and cry ā€˜Fire!ā€™ in a crowded theater!ā€

1 Like

I know, right? I was walking along, minding my own business, with a clock and a bunch of pubes pink tubes and wires on my chest, and people freaked out because they thought it was a bomb! It was a hyper-realistic fake bomb. Cā€™mon, people! If we canā€™t make mock objects that are visually identical to real objects and insist that people treat them as real objects when we want but mock objects at other, unspecified times ā€“ where have our freedoms gone?!!

UPDATED: pubes => pink

10 Likes