'Baltic Gambit,' E.E. Knight's latest in the Vampire Earth series

[Permalink]

I’ve been a longtime “oh, another one, nothing better to read, I guess” person with Vampire Earth. It’s not the greatest series out there in the post-apocalyptic genre, but it certainly is one of the most imaginative.

Personally, I’m a little disappointed that E.E. Knight’s other series, Age of Fire (a dragon-centric series set in a middle-earth-esque world) ended. There was plenty of room for more stories.

If I’ve already caught up in VE and ASOIAF, are you aware of any other awesome sci-fi/fantasy series with novel political problems?

If you’re looking for something novel to read, how about the completed original web novel Worm, by Wildbow.

There are so many things to love about it I can’t even fit it all in one post. He successfully updated 2 or 3 times a week for twenty-eight months, finishing with a total word count upwards of 1.6 million words (a bit short of all 5 current ASOIAF), and solidly held the top slot on both topwebfiction and webfictionguide rankings for most of the final year.

It’s about a lot of things. Bullying, doing the wrong thing for the right reasons, betrayal, what it takes to betray another, and what the labels of Hero and Villain really mean. As a bonus, there are nigh-invincible Kaiju doing a pretty good job at dismantling civilization, the powers are really original compared to most original superhero settings (which tend to have a lot of marvel/DC homages), and you actually learn why the powers exist.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.