Barber bans marijuana-scented customers

Does Colorado have a law allowing people to refuse to serve someone for hygiene reasons similar to the proposed Arizona law to allow people to refuse to server someone for religious reasons? If not, is this barber setting himself up for a lawsuit?

Usually scent-free workplace policies are ushered in under the pretense of workplace health and safety.

The same argument cannot be made for self-imposed religious reasons.

You’re not allowed to discriminate against people based on a limited number of protected categories, like race, religion, sex, or sexual preference. Being stinky is not a protected category.

3 Likes

I think there’s a huge gap between something that can be remedied with a shower and some toothpaste, versus something that is part of a person’s identity. Take that shower and try again, yo. Personally, I’d rather not smell a person unless I’m getting frisky with them.

2 Likes

Get a haircut you dirty hippy! Oh wait…

5 Likes

You have my sympathy; I get near-instant headaches from certain strong perfumes. If I’m trapped in an enclosed space with it, I’ll rapidly progress to crippling migraine. So I always smell elevators and taxis before getting in. Strangely enough, most colognes don’t do this to me, it’s almost exclusively women’s perfumes.

1 Like

What would that have to do with children, though?

Katanga: Jones is dead. I killed him. He was of no use to us. This girl, however, has certain value where we’re headed. She’ll bring a very fine price. Herr Colonel - that cargo you’ve taken - if it’s your goal, go in peace with it, but leave us the girl. It will reduce our loss on the strip.

2 Likes

I am a fetortarian – we hold that one’s personal funk is sacred and shall be maximized. Our blessing to each other is “May you stink to high heaven”.

3 Likes

He made me switch the onions on my belt to Vidalias!

3 Likes

I don’t care if someone wants to smoke up, but have the grace to admit that weed reeks.

I’m pretty sure that statements like that are 100% subjective.

“I don’t care if someone wants to paint, but have the grace to admit that paintings suck.”

“I don’t care if someone wants to eat whatever they want, but have the grace to admit that colby jack tastes disgusting.”

“I don’t care if someone wants to customize their car however they please, but have the grace to admit that hydraulics are a waste of money.”

2 Likes

It has an incredibly powerful aroma then, which is immediately noticable and recognizable to most, having a similar effect to someone bathing in AXE bodyspray.

Feel free to strawman some more.

1 Like

Its funny that the same people that I know it real life that constantly call it skunk, can’t seem to understand that it smells as strong as it does or know when they’ve ‘discretely’ smoked it at lunch at work.

2 Likes

than their own addictions

[citation needed]

some people who don’t bathe or change clothes frequently can reek.

^FTFY

Showering is fun when you’re high. I don’t know any stoners that don’t bathe or change their clothes.

1 Like

As someone who smokes up…pretty much wherever the fuck I want, I can tell you this is not true. Some people can. “Most” cannot. PS: I don’t smoke in places you can’t smoke cigarettes, with the only exception being at gigs where you aren’t able to re-enter once you’re in. I also don’t smoke like an asshole (i.e. I blow smoke up or away from people)

Edit: I’d also like to point out that I’ve talked to cops, been to police stations to report things and been stopped and breath tested by cops within minutes of punching bongs and they had NFI. These are the people tasked with identifying and busting people for smoking, so you’ll excuse me for ignoring all these anecdotes in favour of my own.

FTA According to a local attorney, Corral does have the right to refuse service to someone who has been smoking pot as long as it’s not a Constitutional issue involving a person’s race, religion or gender.

Solution: Claim you’re a Rasta.

1 Like

Thanks for fixing that, but I used pot smokers in order to emphasize and highlight the barber’s extremely narrow specificity of the issue (the smell of marijuana vs. his obvious omission of things like standard cigarettes/pipes/cigars/other smoked substances - or even the staleness of a substance that has settled in one’s clothing).

I currently don’t know many stoners who don’t bathe or change their clothes often either, but I have known a few in my time (and just to be clear, I don’t believe marijuana had anything to do with their lax hygiene, but the stale smell of it didn’t help matters much).

BTW, it seems to me you might have mistaken me for “the enemy”. I have been smoking for almost three decades, and don’t think I have said anything that is patently anti-marijuana.

1 Like

Heh… yeah, there’s nothing I can stand less than perpetuation of stereotypes which is what I thought you were doing. I stand corrected :smile:

Trust me, if I thought you were “the enemy” my comment would have been overflowing with trolly snark designed purely to annoy.

1 Like

this is just an attempt to get publicity. everyone knows hippies don’t get haircuts :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

“NO coming into my shop smelling like a legal substance! There are kids here and we don’t want them smelling legal substances!”

what? unless he is right next door to a dispensary how big of an issue could this really be? I can picture someone trimming all day smelling strongly but the average joe smoker, no way, they wouldn’t smell noticeably. I wonder what percentage of Coloradan smoke up these days anyway?

Good eye! That makes this story even funnier.

To make a counter point, they do sit really still for long periods of time and the vending machine has never been emptier.

Shouldn’t these types of article be tagged BongBong :slight_smile: Bong is past tense of Boing right?