Battle Beyond the Stars

Well, it looks like the albino aliens have more sense about hot dogs than humans.

Figures.

Add the Japanese Sony Chiba 7 Samurai / Power Rangers mashup Message From Space

The James Horner score is worth a listen, especially if you’re a fan of Wrath of Khan.

enter link description here

EDIT: My link, Discourse eated it. http://youtu.be/XQL0h2TNJG0

Like the Magnificent Seven it is another retelling of the Seven Samurai, and while lacking finesse, it is a fun interpretation of Kurosawa’s story. The music is memorable and fun. The diverse space ship design is one of the highlights of the film, in the same way that looking at the variety of ships in Battle Star Galactica added depth to the world.

It’s a fun movie that I love to go back to. It’s not a bad story. Has some great dialogue. In my mind, Nell, the space ship, is one of my favorite sci-fi characters.

2 Likes

Oh come on! This movie was amazing.
The ship with a pair of tits alone was worth it!

3 Likes

Battle Beyond the Stars was, in fact, James Cameron’s first job working for Corman. He and Gale Anne Hurd were hired to supervise filming of the special effects sequences. I read an interview with him in Cinefantastique magazine years ago where he claimed he had to rent out the motion control armature equipment pioneered by ILM for Star Wars to shoot all the SFX shots within a 2-week schedule. This film supposedly had the largest budget that Corman’s New Worlds company had ever financed, so under those circumstances, Battle Beyond the Stars looks pretty good (as compared to Message from Space, which came out around the same time).

3 Likes

And directed by Kinji Fukasaku!!!

C’mon – the original Star Wars would have been SO MUCH BETTER if it had included Darth Vader’s bitchy, silver, mother-in-law, in a wheelchair.

I should probably shut my yap before Lucas gets any more ideas…

NB: I have an original “Message From Space” theater-poster hanging in my office as we speak

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.