Battleship - awful game with sexist illustration

Oh, yes indeedy. That’s a big part of the reason why I won: I hadn’t played in so long I had to re-read the rules in the box to remember. And, of course, my wife was prepared to play by the rules she was used to: the way everyone else plays. So she was off-balance from the beginning.

I still hated the game, but I was glad to have the game over in under 2 hours, for a change.

1 Like

It appears the auction rule, by his own admission, devolves into a family feud just as fast. Mind you, we have, somewhere, a Waddingtons game of mid-70s vintage called ‘Safari’, that my dad brought home from a charity shop, with a ruleset of almost tabletop RPG levels of complexity, which we attempted to play. Once. It sparked an argument so ferocious that it was placed at the top of a high cupboard and Never Spoken Of Again.

3 Likes

try &#42 ; without the space before the ;

Also… never knew I could do this in BB comments :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

This cover is a travesty!

Everyone knows it’s more efficient if you have one make sandwiches while the other cleans up.

Then we can do manly stuff like kill things and blow stuff up!

3 Likes

reads

tries scrolling down

autoloads, jumps down, autoloads, jumps down

tries searching to find where I was… it isn’t there any more

tries scrolling up

autoloads, jumps up, skips stuff, jumps to top.

tries scrolling down

autoloads, jumps down, skips stuff, jumps to bottom

And there’s some thought to Battleship. A tedious otherwise-random search array which goes after the odds on one row and the evens on the next will beat a tedious completely random search array.

I’m just curious, but do you live near any bridges?

1 Like

only post-modernism can imagine never-sexism

1 Like

Imagining it is easy. Getting there is the challenge. I’m just hoping it doesn’t take another 5000 years of civilization.

1 Like

This one here is pretty close. Why do you ask?

(nifty photo by Jeremiah Bostwick)

1 Like

Ah. Ha ha. No, I do not live underneath.

1 Like

Centrum

Ellen vs women pens

National Literacy range enhancer (apparently)

Nerf’s “Heartbreaker Bow” - complete with darts that look like tampon packaging

Cleaning? Pfft - it’s girl’s stuff

But, I’m a guy… can’t I join in? NO! GIRLS ONLY

Science is surely safe from this… after all, it’s real chemistry!!

What is this i don’t even

13 Likes

If it close dis week, I know nuttin’ bout it. I am not a bully.

Actually, I remember a couple of other boardgames we used to play as a family (Waddington’s ones, natch)

Lost Valley of the Dinosaurs was pretty naff, but I fondly remember Escape from Atlantis.

I was going to like your post, but that shave the baby doll is rather creepy.

4 Likes

Just as a note: Escape from Atlantis is still available in a slightly modified form under the name Survive!

(Lost Valley of the Dinosaurs, however, is long gone.)

Does Cards Against Humanity count?

Saw this today…

2 Likes

All sexism is ultimately negative for both sexes.

4 Likes

What’s strange is that I don’t see the sexism in the jello commercial. Sure it’s picturing a housewife, but housewives are real and at least it is acknowledging that there is real work to be done. Women who work in the home were the target demographic there, though there’s no reason a man couldn’t make jello (or be working at home). I actually kind of like the animation style.

1 Like