Bears on Stairs, an animation made from 50 3D-printed frames

This isn’t a GCI bear, this is how the digital revolution deals unemployment and replacement-by-computer to Aardman Studios. Wallace and Gromit are shitting themselves right now…

PS: I got the Marks and Spencer’s reference even if no one else did.

1 Like

In all seriousness, 3D-printing has recently opened up a whole new world of possibilities for stop-motion filmmakers. For example, Paranorman swapped out thousands of 3-D printed faces for their character models, enabling lifelike movement and expressiveness usually reserved for outfits like Pixar.

1 Like

Exactly! Actually, that is easier and faster than traditional stop motion.
Still very, very cool, but the point is exactly how easier it is.

Inspired by, I gather, the Totoro zoetrope from the (absolutely bloody gorgeous) Ghibli museum.

I rather the miss the camera trip-wires. And the bit where the bear starts to gallop.

1 Like

I know, huh?

The part I find mesmerizing, is the “grain” in each polygon left by the printhead. It changes in each frame, but it’s close enough to the frames before and after that it seems to move in its own (constantly changing) plane! Chalk one up for unintended side effects. Somebody is going to exploit that look to make monochrome psychedelics.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.