Bedtime stories sound way more interesting with a speech jammer

[Permalink]

I remember a story of them deploying this during the Vietnam war, it was nicknamed Colonel Computer and installed behind the pilot on a batch of F-105 Thunderchief fighter-bombers if memory serves. Same thing, turned on over North Vietnam it repeated back radio traffic to confuse/jam missile, radar, interceptor fighter, and command voice communications. Within 24 hours the NSA had shut the program down as it was killing their electronic intel collection work.

1 Like

Sounds like autism. I suspect part of autism is runaway feedback loops in the brain.

2 Likes

That was super fun to listen to.

Unfortunately, I couldn’t get it to work to nearly the same effect on myself. I used StutterBox and set a delay of 0.2s, which I found made it the most difficult for me (though I didn’t explore that much, so there may be a better setting).

I found I could read One Fish Two Fish pretty well, except slower, and with a definite lengthening/wavering of the long vowels:

Some are sa-ad
And some are gla-ad
And some are very very ba-ad
Why are they sa-ad and gla-ad and ba-ad?
I do not know, go ask your da-ad

I tried both on One Fish Two Fish, which I have read a bazillion times in the past year, and on new text. Not much difference between them.

Besides long vowels, after recording myself I saw I also had some difficulty where a phoneme repeats itself. I think in both cases it has something to do with the sound you’re hearing suddenly matching what you’re saying, which confuses you because you’ve quickly created an expectation of a delayed sound, and are trying to correct for it, so when the sound suddenly matches it makes you overcorrect. Or something.

Anyway, I was sad that I couldn’t get effects anywhere near the video. Anyone else? I really wanted to get my wife to sound like this with tonight’s bedtime story.

1 Like

I had a cell phone back in the 90s with an intermittent bad echo that had a similar effect. I simply could NOT talk when it was happening, as I kept pausing to resolve the interruption. Had to hold the phone in front of my face so I couldn’t hear it at all, then signal I was done like on a radio.

1 Like

Have you got cans that block the ambient sound pretty well? Put them on and whack the volume up to drown out your own voice. Then slow your speaking down a little bit rather than rush to get all the words out quickly. You should find the effect kicking in then.

I do a live talk show where I interview professional photo retouchers as we watch their screen while they work. It’s rare, but occasionally the live streaming software I use malfunctions and starts piping my own voice back with a tiny delay to my headphones as I speak. The results are virtually identical to the speech jammer demonstrated in the video, only in front of a live internet audience and a guest, all of whom have no idea anything unusual is going on. My audio sounds normal to them, except for my sudden inability to form complete words.

I was mortified the first time it happened, but with practice I can now brute force my way through it.

This is amazing! When I was in high school we did something similar, but with video. It’s even more disturbing fun!

On QI, the resident dunce, Alan Davies, wasn’t fazed by this machine at all.

It’s on “Jam Jelly and Juice” if you care to search around on youtube.

Finally, a cure for non-stutterers…

2 Likes

Wow this is amazing, and makes me feel a lot better about the many times I complained about my own voice getting echoed back to me on Skype. No wonder it was so hard to ignore.

(The culprit is always someone without a headset and their speakers turned up too high. For the love of God, people, buy a damn headset.)

1 Like

Reminds me of

Sunday, SUN-day, SUN-DAYY!!
Get dddown and dddirty in the mudddd at the ttttri-ccounty area’s a’a a’s ooonly
M-m-m-monster ttttruck jaaammmm!!!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.