Behavioral economics of Free to Play games

Once upon a time it was considered evil by most people to take someones money without providing any benefit to people or society (and I am not talking about entertaining video games.) Now the American Dream is about getting a lot of something for bunch of nothing, rules and morals be damned. How?

You’re replying as though to an article-reader…

How about GAIN? It’s free to play but it pays you if you play it a lot. It’s actually a realtime market simulator but it plays more like a game.

Disclaimer: I’m a founder. It really is completely free and really does pay weekly cash awards.

I know I’m a little late to this discussion, but I thought I’d bring this to your attention, @doctorow, from the very excellent MCA Hogarth’s blog (she of the recent Spots the Space Marine spat with Games Workshop), copied from her blog post here: http://mcahogarth.org/?p=12026

Sad Gamers: A Daughter Story

“Mommy,” Child declares from the backseat, “I don’t like that dolphin game.”

For a moment my brain blanks. We had just been talking about something completely different; this topic shift is rather out of the blue. “The dolphin game?”

“The ipad dolphin game,” she says. “The one where you swim and get coins.”

“Oh!” I say. “I wasn’t sure what you meant. Why don’t you like the dolphin game?”

“Because it wants to make people sad,” she says, very firmly.

I glance in the rear-view mirror at her. She’s looking out the window. “It does? How does it do that?”

“I don’t know,” she says. And then a moment later, “It makes people want to have more money than everyone else. And then you don’t have money to get things. And when you do, you can’t get other things.”

Startled, I say, “Well… yes. You’re absolutely right. Games like that just want you to get lots of money and then spend it.”

“I don’t like it,” she says. “It wants to make people sad.”

“It does,” I say. “So you shouldn’t play it anymore, if you don’t like it. You should do other things you like better.”

Helping her out of the car, I reflect that we’ve been doing our best to educate her about sales tactics, particularly since so many of them are aimed at children because of their low impulse control. When the two of us are out together, I explain to her why stores give out samples, or why people like to give things to children, or why stores sell things for money. But I absolutely did not expect her to extrapolate that to her freemium dolphin game at five years old. And I especially didn’t expect her to make the connection between having money and being happy or sad.

What a world she’s entering. But I have some hope that she’ll go into it clear-eyed.

2 Likes

I’m not a subject matter expert; but my guess is that whatever the vendors know about predicting suckers, rather than merely churning the userbase and reeling in the vulnerable, is something they would prefer not to talk about(not only would it probably end up sounding unbelievably evil 'Well, it turns out that our best lead-generation tactic is buying up sleazy medical data from RealAge and looking for users with likely major depressive disorders." It’s probably a useful competitive edge when trying to target your marketing and improve those clickthrough and conversion numbers).

The better bet, for actual study, would probably be to look at the literature on ‘problem’ or ‘pathological’ gamblers. That area of research is the same ghastly mess that most of psychology seems to be; but they’ve got years worth of head start, as well as some exposure to actual patients, and (limited, not terribly informative in a broad sense) studies of various methods of trying to help them.

Some very early; but interesting, fMRI stuff, along with some reports of drugs that seem to cause/trigger the behavior, and ones that seem to help, not that we really know why, unfortunately.

1 Like

Yes, it WENT free to play after (I presume) they adjusted their strategy due to reaching the limits of market penetration for customers who were willing to pay. It didn’t start as a f2p game.

We don’t blame a smaller, weaker person for folding to physical coercion by a larger stronger person.

Your example ignores the option of running away which is akin to my treatment of f2p. Also physical coercion is not legal while these scummy tricks are somewhat legal.

I really don’t think you can find me one example of the kind of game that operates as you describe (non paying players: difficult game / paying players: impossible game.) They do not exist. Why would anyone buy content that makes their game experience less fun? It’s like buying a massage chair that makes you less comfortable instead of the regular chair you already have.

F2p games work by having an addictive play mechanic which gives you a few levels of play before you reach a point that is almost impossible to overcome without either: a lot of gameplay that is usually restricted by time delays to keep you coming back (to see more ads) over a period of days (instead a couple hours of game binging) OR spending what seems like a reasonable amount (a couple bucks) to get some item that will mean you don’t have to complete all that gameplay.

Mix store reviews with online chatter and a basic understanding of game design and it’s pretty easy to figure out what’s going on. I don’t buy in game content for mobile games, ever. When I’m prompted to engage socially it doesn’t bother me because none of my social network profiles are in any way an honest reflection of me whatsoever. The only email address or account I have in my actual name is my work one, so there’s very little data for them to mine on me through FB or twitter.

The only in game content i d buy is new levels for COD because without them you’re put in a matchmaking pool of far fewer people resulting in a bad online experience. I feel just as ripped off about that but in that situation there is little other choice. The ONLY mobile game that I ever thought whatsoever about buying in game content was tapped out, but I hate the bastards at EA so I just found a cracked apk that lets you spend negative $ instead :slight_smile:

Your example ignores the option of running away which is akin to my
treatment of f2p. Also physical coercion is not legal while these
scummy tricks are somewhat legal.

Well, unless the reason you are vulnerable to physical coercion is because of you can’t walk slowly on your cane, in which case: “At some point if you haven’t learned to be able-bodied, you get what you deserve.”

I realize there is a difference in legality, but that doesn’t make anyone deserving of being duped or emotionally coerced out of their money. After all, falling for the trick isn’t illegal either, but you seem to be willing to blame people who do it. Again, my only real complaint here is that you said people deserved what they got. I think we can simultaneously want people to be responsible for what they do and at the same time not be callous towards people who are taken advantage of.

I think this is a very different problem than compulsive gambling. What I’ve read about compulsive gambling (and I’m no expert either) suggested that one of the features of a compulsive gambler was that they get a rush from almost winning, whereas most people hate to almost win (since that means you lost). People who play these games seem to have a real aversion to losing. It’s almost the opposite - they are willing to pay and pay as long as they don’t have to lose.

As for how they target these people, I don’t even think they do. I think these games are designed with metrics rather than with expertise. I don’t think they have to worry about targeting the vulnerable, I think they just engineer the games to churn out the maximum profit (I should say the local maximum) without worrying about how that works.

Adding further complications to an inaccurate analogy won’t fix it. Accept that and come up with a better one. In your analogy the person is being assaulted (which is illegal) and the victim is presented as completely powerless to change the situation themselves. In this case the game devs are not engaging in illegal behaviour and the user has the capacity to educate themselves. How hard is it to type the name of a game into Google to see what people are saying? How hard is it to read reviews on the app store? Not hard.

Yes I will blame people who fall for the trick… most of the fault lies in their lap. Who is responsible for infecting a computer with a virus: the virus creator or the person who was careless enough to download some mystery “speed up your computer” exe that popped up without them even seeking it and then install it without scanning it for viruses? Yes, the person who wrote the virus clearly set the chain of events in motion, but the person who ran it on the machine is the person who f-ed up. People know about viruses. People know that there are such things as scams. I’m not giving the scummy game davs a free pass - they should go Die In A Fire for wasting people’s money - but scams only work if you don’t do your research. Since most of us have access to a planet of information in our pockets I see there being no excuse for being tricked anymore.

@ghostly1 Congratulations, you were the recipient of my first deleted comment:

I love your concern trolling for ‘victims’… As I made clear in my previous reply, victim-blaming is only unacceptable in cases where the victim didn’t play a part in becoming a victim. If someone walks straight into a scam without second guessing whether a too-good-to-be-true deal might actually be too good to be true then I have little compassion for their situation.

I’m going to put more blame on the person who releases a virus … than a person who haplessly allows it to be installed.
No virus is haplessly allowed to be installed. Viruses are installed when people are sloppy or don’t protect themselves adequately. There are free tools that automatically update themselves and will stop infected files from even being run. Since there’s been Hollywood narratives and periodic techno-panic about viruses since the 80’s I don’t see ignorance being an acceptable excuse.

That’s very noble of you to side with the person who doesn’t protect themselves over someone who does something wrong. Since the topic at hand is scammy games and the devs aren’t technically doing anything wrong, who do you blame in this case? Seems to me that by your own rules the only person to blame is the person who got scammed.

Not to mention my fixes? That only deserves doubt quotes if you are impossibly incapable of operating a google or parsing the info in an app review. Well, since searching for the app name will likely result in the first page being populated with official promotion pages for the app and since I’m wondering if this particular app is a scam, maybe it would make sense to use that word in the query? The results for ‘candy crush scam’ make it fairly clear that some people are convinced it’s a scam. Searching: it’s not rocket science.

Off to the app store, which you’re clearly having trouble with. Here’s some choice quotes from the first 3 reviews on the itunes page for the app:

“pity you have to be on face book to surpass more levels” <- Any game that is unplayable without social media link-ins is usually a scam

“They NEVER respond. I lost so many live that the real value cost to buy would have been enough to buy the RIP OFF upgrades!!!”

“People who pay for anything in this game deserve the ripping off they get.”

“Addons way too expensive and games rigged to lose so you potentially by lives.”

“Honestly - these devs are as greedy as it comes with ios devices. Can’t believe how much they rip everyone off!!!”

Do those sound like the ringing endorsements of happy customers to you? How is this so confusing for you?

Feel free to characterise my argument in whatever way you think makes your point more relevant. Fact is that what I have said is as plain as day: “I’m not giving the scummy game davs a free pass - they should go Die In A Fire for wasting people’s money”. You’re just angry because I dare to lay most of the blame on the people who are scammed and you’ve yet to prove to me (or anyone else, I’d say) why I’m wrong.

Your last paragraph is the finest straw man I’ve seen built here in a while… Almost as if you’ve used only quality silks and heirloom grains for its construction. Thanks for telling me what my worldview endorses, even though it is contradicted by my very own words, the words which characterise these game devs’ behaviour as scummy. The bit where I tell them to go die is really secret code for ‘i love you’. Where did I say victims shouldn’t speak out? My advice specifically encourages seeking the opinion of others who have spoken out. Finally, nice conclusion! I’m all for allowing us to educate ourselves, how dare anyone say something that would jeopardise our ability to do so! Such people must hate apple pie and freedom!

Really… you seriously put MOST of the blame, not on people who actually DO bad acts, but on people who “should have known better?” I mean, I could understand maybe putting SOME of the blame there, but MOST? Wow, you live in crazy-pants victim-blaming world.

Me, personally? I’m going to put more blame on the person who releases a virus designed to infect people’s computers than a person who haplessly allows it to be installed. I’m going to put more blame on the person who shamelessly take advantage of people than the people who are taken advantage of. I will ALWAYS blame the person who does something wrong more than the person who didn’t protect themselves enough.

Not to mention, your suggested ‘fixes’… aren’t really all that helpful. Let’s do a Google search on Candy Crush saga… well, the first few are the developers, who, obviously, not going to be unbiased… let’s check Wiki… nope, nothing about exploiting people who pay and turning it from a skill game to a money game there. How about the ‘app store’ reviews? First few pages are all high reviews about how awesome the game is, and all the low reviews are complaints that it somehow won’t install or it crashes. So… I guess it’s probably okay? It’s got a 4.5 star rating, after all! I suppose you could go deeper, choose more exact search terms, but… how much research are you expected to do for a $1.99 game? That is, before you’re already addicted from playing and experiencing the unethical behaviors? How much research before there’s an excuse for being tricked?

But no, you’re right, I guess it really IS more the fault of the people who don’t research everything obsessively. They should have just educated themselves more. And hey, if they happen to have addictive personalities… well, that’s their fault too! I guess they should just try being better people. Meanwhile, the poor people who actually prey on them, why, they’re just horsin’ around, they probably don’t mean no harm! Let’s just give them a moral free pass (and yes, when you say the victim is more responsible than the bad actor, that’s pretty much exactly what you’re doing)… heck, they’re probably closer to the intellectual superman ideal that is best for the world, right? At least they’re not victims!

Your worldview just endorses scummy behavior (and for that matter, criminal behavior, because the same attitude crops up there, too), and encourages victims to not speak out for fear of looking foolish. And when they don’t speak out, the ability to educate ourselves gets diminished.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.