Berlin workshop tomorrow on "Unpleasant Design": urban design that bullies its users

Yes, the selfish asshole is the person who believes that one person should not be allowed to monopolize the seat designed for several people. Makes sense.

Or, that, you know, believing they should be designed so that people desperate enough to have to so should be forced to sleep on the ground? Yup. Selfish. I double-checked and everything.

2 Likes

You mean entirely legitimate when you can see nobody else might need to use the space, and occasionally necessary?

1 Like

NOOOOOO! Selfish! You may also only use half the armrest.

I was amused at this one:

After carefully examining a railing on a very tall bridge in Vevey, Switzerland, we noticed it is covered with a rough material, something of a sand-paper quality. The reason for using this material might be to discourage suicidal attempts, as the contact with the railing is already so unpleasant. On the other side, the reason might be purely hygienic, for it probably gets less dirty when nobody is touching it.

Or c), that having something with a decent texture to hold onto when you’re crossing the bridge might be just the thing when you’re crossing it in winter.

“Selfish” is probably too imprecise a word. I think a better definition is “seemingly incapable to understand that life can be complicated and one might need, on occasions, to actually enjoy a bit more support from public resources than what he would otherwise be entitled to by strict proportional rules (which are artificially designed and enforced by elites anyway, mainly to maintain their unfairly-gained advantage through the ages)”.

Politics as a way to administer finite resources is a sad endeavour.

4 Likes

In Moncton (a crappy little city on the east coast of Canada), in what has to be an act of pure contempt, the bus shelters had “benches” which consisted of backless seats, just below waist height, sloped at a forty-five-degree angle. When you sat on them, if sitting is the correct word, your toes were crushed into the fronts of your shoes, a profoundly uncomfortable position to be in and actually worse than standing upright, even if you had been on your feet for an eight-hour day.

Finally, after a few years, the useless pseudo seats were replaced with proper benches — the kind with the rails between the seats to prevent people from sleeping on them, but at least benches that allowed people to sit down.

That sounds like standard European bus-shelter stuff, these days, especially in major cities.

The idea of “solving homelessness” by removing objects on which homeless people can sleep, is akin to the one of “solving terrorism” by increasing security checks.

2 Likes

Other words may include “sanctimonious” or “incapable of empathy.”

1 Like

Speaking of one person monopolizing a space designed for several, I don’t believe you’ve posted here. Seems like the emotion you’re expressing really belongs in that comment thread.

Everyone else has already taken the intelligent, reasoned arguments against your position, so let me just add “fuck that selfish, entitled bullshit.”

1 Like

Peter Saville designed a LP made from sandpaper way back in the 70’s for the very same purpose - to destroy others! Apparently it didn’t serve its purpose too well though, and instead destroyed itself more than others. http://www.firstpulseprojects.net/Out-of-the-Blue/Ephemera-Hanson.html

They installed a bunch of those in Royal Oak (suburb of Detroit) several years back. Bikers and skateboarders promptly removed them with angle grinders.

1 Like

Quite a lot of 'em are bolted down with those ‘secure’ star-drive bolts. It’d be entertaining to remove 'em all, skate, then put them back…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.