Bike light with laser cannon creates a glowing, personal bike-lane

I “invented” this exact thing using cheap Harbor Freight line-lasers at Burning Man, several years ago…

These have been discussed at length on cycling forums. They are 100.00% useless crap.

That “bike lane” width is ludicrous - states that have enacted laws require a 3 foot distance from the cyclist (not from the center of the bike). That looks like a 0 inch clearance - anyone skimming that line would be brushing the cyclist’s arm.

Also, unless they GREATLY exceed the maximum allowed power for unlicensed civilian laser use, this will be completely impossible to even see from a car.

Honestly, I’m disappointed that ThinkGeek is carring such an obvious piece of crap. I thought they at least did SOME vetting of their merch.

Are these suitable for mounting on my shark?

2 Likes

I saw a kickstarter for exactly what you describe. Apparently the majority of injuries and deaths are because cars turn directly into bikes or directly in front of bikes.

The kickstarter bike laser painted a large icon of a bike in a yield triangle on the ground about 5 feet in front of the bike, so when a driver looked to turn, they saw the image of the bike caution sign on the road even though the bike was 5 or 6 feet behind that point.

Not sure what happened to it, but I planned on buying one once it became a regular commercial product.

Expensive ($200), overly complicated and doesn’t provide much more light than a set of $12 LED lights. No thanks.

Revolights are the bicycle equivalent of underbody neon on cars.

1 Like

$200 bucks to turn my bike into a Tron light cycle is a bargain.

1 Like

Someone should invent a generator/battery powered bike light system: 3’ of clearance marked on front, back and sides; cyclist symbol projected in front, standard front and tail lights and a shiny brass bell.

And don’t worry, there’s factions in biking too: Don’t Ride at Night, I’m Safe because I Assume Drivers Don’t See Me, Reflectors on EDT, and finally GTFOOMWIAOAFB.

You’d have to be careful about your cycling companions crossing their streams though.

I have personal experience this is far from “completely impossible” to see from a car…

That was my thought, too. I live near a college and a train station. There are a lot of cyclists traveling poorly lit roads not marked with bike lanes. So I thought I’d like this, but really, I’d like any kind of illumination - just so I can see them.

I would expect a laser-cannon to create me tunnels, never mind a goddamn bike-lane…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.