Bill to cut off funding to schools than ban brandishing a pastry in a gun-like manner

Psst. He was being sarcastic. :wink:

I modified my post to (hopefully) be more clear that I was talking generally and not attacking Deidzoeb. The use of the generic “you” was a poor choice, thanks for pointing it out.

1 Like

make WHAT a crime exactly?

I read it to mean that schools with such rules would be penalized, not schools where kids do dumb shit (the latter being the ultimate example of a full outer join with no primary key, in database terms).

How is it legal for schools to ban these things in the first place? This screams First Amendment at me. I don’t necessarily agree with going as far as fully defunding a school, but there needs to be some type of punishment for schools that attack the First Amendment rights of their students in such a way. The way these Zero Tolerance ™ policies are implemented on children seems to me to be a type of institutional child abuse.

1 Like

Great that he wants to stop that stupid zero-tolerance bullshit, but somehow I don’t think his real reason is simply pro-sanity, but pro-giving kids more exposure to guns and no teaching them that guns are bad.

This screams First Amendment at me.

Schools deem themselves seperate from the state when convenient. Awarding students constitutional rights is one such time. Source: thirteen years of public schooling (and yes, they did put me on the day shift).

1 Like

My buddy Kevin told me about how he was sent home from a public school for drawing an “L” shape–literally two lines–because the teacher asked what it was and he said it was a gun. This was early 80s Chattanooga. On the obverse, my 5th grade class in Michigan drew pictures for display in the hallway. Two of the kids drew airplanes–complete with swastikas–gunning down US planes engulfed in flames, which were displayed with absolutely no comment by anyone. Both of these anecdotes strike me as deeply weird, as does the content of this thread.

1 Like

Is he motivated by the idea that the policy is hostile toward children? Or hostile toward gun-shaped things?

1 Like

But what about pasta shortbows? Or gingerbread ballista?

Is the school really ready for a creative war of escalation with snark?

1 Like

“Gentlemen. You can’t fight in here. This is the War Room!”

Only in Texas would they make it easier to get an actual gun over a pastry that looks like a gun.

Oh geeze, I’d probably be locked up if I were in schools today. I remember I loved to draw undead zombie soldiers. Some of them were German so they had swastikas (often backwards or with not all the lines pointing the right way.) I made paper airplanes and colored them like the Red Baron (with the incorrect swastika) and camouflaged planes.

In general the Zero Tolerance policies are horrible. Everything in life is in a context. You need THINKING people giving out appropriate punishments. A kid with a real gun in school should be punished harshly. A kid who brings an airsoft gun should be suspended. A kid who brings a 2" GI Joe gun or makes a gun out of stick or pop tart shouldn’t even be a blip on the radar.

1 Like

What always drives me nuts about second amendment hardliners is that they always focus guns and ignore similar rights violations if they don’t involve guns. This bill is a case in point. It doesn’t forbid zero tolerance policies. It doesn’t forbid punishment of play with pretend weapons. It doesn’t forbid restrictions on students ’ political expressions via t-shirt. It only forbids restrictions on play and speech which involves guns and only guns. A kid who turns his Pop-Tart into a knife and pretends to stab a fellow student or who accidentally brings a paring knife to school or wears a controversial shirt that says “God Loves Gays” wouldn’t be covered and could be harshly punished. I strongly suspect Rep. Stockman would applaud at the least bans targeting that shirt.

3 Likes

It’s “that”… Like, no shit, it’s “that”
If you’re gonna be the spelling/grammar police, at least go for something which isn’t an obvious type-o that wouldn’t confuse any reasonable reader.

Otherwise. Have a good day.

1 Like

Aw, you’re too nice. It’s not an official position, so I’m really more of a spelling/grammar vigilante. It’s obvious from the article what the title was supposed to say, I just thought the two possible corrections were kind of funny in the way they contrasted with each other.

3 Likes

How dare you respond in such a sensible way!!
I, upon reflection, obviously took the overly-dickish-for-no-reason route with my response to you - And you come back with… what??? A reasonable explanation??? With a bit of humor, no less???
This is a sad day on the internet.

3 Likes

The Zero Tolerance policies are ill-advised as is this bill.

Bill to cut off funding to schools than ban brandishing a pastry in a
gun-like manner.

Quite a mouthful of words, with a seasoning of double-reverse syntax or something along those lines, I dunno, my brain hurts a little.

Yeah, and who’s this ‘Bill’ character?

2 Likes

I can’t help but enjoy a bit of schadenfreude at the prospect of a conservative head-on collision…

1 Like