Billionaire blocks access to public beach in California

I am not sure at what grade I and my peers started to guffaw at our history lessons They were so obviously more myth than fact. The puritans who form some sort of cultural backbone of the country and are celebrated on Thanksgiving did not leave England for the sake of religious freedom. They came here to make sure they could maintain a repressive culture in the face of a liberalizing England. This is transparent to a reader who is paying attention.

It is almost like history is taught as a lesson in not trusting authority, especially when speaking of the roots of our democracy and the purpose it was supposed to serve. Spanish American War? Never heard of it.

3 Likes

The Plan of Chicago, by Daniel Burnham

Foremost among the plan's goals was reclaiming the lakefront for the public. ā€œThe Lakefront by right belongs to the people," wrote Burnham. "Not a foot of its shores should be appropriated to the exclusion of the people.ā€ The plan recommended expanding the parks along the Lake Michigan shoreline with landfill, which was done in the early 20th century. Of the city's 29 miles (47 km) of lakefront, all but four miles (six kilometres) are today public parkland.

My understanding is that this sort of thing has been happening in California for decades, though largely through deliberately misleading signage claiming that access to the beach is trespassing or otherwise forbidden. The only difference here seems to be that itā€™s one individual rather than a neighborhood of beachfront property owners working together to try to keep the beach for themselves. Iā€™m not sure thatā€™s a highly significant difference.

On behalf of the Old Country, I apologise we did not furnish them with leakier boatsā€¦

1 Like

I expect a modest proposal to end hunger will be posted soon as well.

But hey, coasts are already state property in most states with a coast line, up to the high tide mark. California is one of them, so the coast isnā€™t part of the billionaireā€™s property to begin with.

California has a long history of rich jerks trying to cut off public access to the beaches in front of their homes, this is merely a new salvo fired off. Expect an answer soon from the court of appeals, as well as new bills in the state legislation to ensure public access easements with or without proper compensation.

ā€œBeware of flying sharks!ā€

ā€œBeach not this way.ā€

Surely at that point you would just retreat to the public access-way toā€¦ oh. Right.

Fixed itā€¦

1 Like

Before the Chicago Lakefront reclamation and the current El Paso Hoo Hoo War, came the El Paso Salt War. It was a bfd reported nationally, and influenced legal thought on riparian rights and community assets. Spain thought the shore and salt were for everybody and guaranteed it, the local Mexican and Chicano people agreed, the 'mercans thought all goodies go to the greediest, wealthiest industrialists. Between farmers, US army, and sheriffā€™s posse, somewhere between 20 and 30 were killed, many more wounded.

Doubt this one will go that far - but certainly not the first time people have gotten all upset over such an issue.

[quote=ā€œIMB, post:10, topic:13982, full:trueā€]
Eminent domain. This manā€™s property is a blight to the common good of the rest of society and is a nuisance in blocking access to a public beach.[/quote]

Silly Wabbit. Eminent Domain is for little people, not billionaires.

You might want to brush up on the California Coastal Act:

Its there not only to keep the beaches public property, but to preserve access to those beaches.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.