Black Spider playing cards

[Permalink]

I like things like double backed cards. I do not enjoy it when you shave decks down, etc.

Really eye-catching design.

Playing cards with kids that had a habit of shuffling roughly or getting them wet, we would frequently have to deal with playing cards delaminating around the corners, even on Bicycles.

Until we found these clear ones:
http://www.bicyclecards.com/products/playing-card/hoyle-clear

1 Like

Here’s a hint about buying specialty card decks: if they aren’t made by the US Playing Card Company, they probably suck.

Not really all that true, since there are other specialty card makers who are very good (KEM, for example). There are some crappy companies out there, but I’m not sure I’ve ever seen what I’d refer to as “specialty” cards from any of them - I typically only see those brands included with a poker or cribbage game set. USPCC decks are typically very good, but they do have a variety of quality levels they print - most of their specialty decks are at the higher end, though.

Really, though, it’s almost impossible to find a deck not made by them unless you’re looking very hard for something specific. They currently either own or print almost every major brand of cards in the USA (and a few other countries, besides). In fact, besides KEM and Copag (who don’t really target the same market) I’m not sure I can even name one off the top of my head.

2 Likes

Having just looked at the USPCC web site, purely for curiosities sake, it looks like they own KEM as well.

I would imagine that cards intended for less standard decks would be more often be made by some one else. Tarot decks for the game (rather than fortune telling), the various decks for European and Asian card games etc.

I dunno. My most recent deck is fairly decent, and it’s made by Cartamundi, not USPCC.

[quote=“Ryuthrowsstuff, post:5, topic:55096, full:true”]I would imagine that cards intended for less standard decks would be more often be made by some one else. Tarot decks for the game (rather than fortune telling), the various decks for European and Asian card games etc.[/quote]Most cards for board/card games are printed in China these days, due to the low cost. USPCC will print cards for games, but are more expensive due to the higher quality, and get even more expensive if you don’t fall into the typical card-sized 56-card deck option.

Copag cards are awesome. Based in Brazil.
I assume they aren’t related to the US Playing Card Company.

http://www.copagcards.com/

1 Like

Nice cards. But it seems they should be called ‘White Spider’.
I imagine that Death carries a pack.

1 Like

Death’s pack only contains black aces and eights and an unknown hole card. :wink:

1 Like

Sounds more like propaganda for a US corporation.

if they aren’t made by the US Playing Card Company, they probably suck.

I’ve never seen any sort of review of playing card companies. Does the author have any links to such reviews?

http://www.homepokertourney.com/playing-card-buyers-guide.htm
Note that this is for poker - I imagine they have slightly different requirements than a magician.

Going by the reviews I just read: If you need another deck, try to get hold of a pack of Copag plastic poker cards; they seem to be reasonably cheap and durable.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.