Black worker at Memphis cotton plant banned from 'whites only' water fountain, or 'we hang you'

Man talking about anything you don’t agree with = mansplaining.

Got it.

I’ll believe we’re on our way to post-racial when those who seek to deny that the U.S. is still a racist country stop claiming that the real problem is those who point out racism.

Amen.

4 Likes

Actually, “whitesplaining” works a lot better for your comments in this thread. You might wanna look it up. And then quit while you’re behind.

4 Likes

I’ll wait for a few of the more reasonable (and less ego/agenda-driven) posters to comment before I decide if I’m out of line. But thanks for making yourself Class Monitor on this little thread.

JeanBaptiste So the focus (and the story) is about Xeni and boing boing, not about the supervisor, right?

3 Likes

Ummm since you’ve gone to the trouble of disagreeing with me, would you mind being a tad more specific about what you’re disagreeing with?

I mentioned the supervisor, and racism, and Memphis a lot more than I did Xeni. If we’re going to use my having mentioned Xeni as a reason to disallow my entire line of reasoning and comments (which covered a lot more ground than focusing on Xeni) then you’re kind of hobbling discussion. Which, admittedly, is probably your point.

I bet a lot of people are missing Antinous at this point. Heaven forbid we should be talking about anything we have varying veiws on…

ok, we’ll give you attention. there.

1 Like

But who’s class monitor Jean? Ooh is it me? I’ve always yearned for a position of power. Is it me Jean?

1 Like

I’m from the Memphis area. Born and raised. Lived in Memphis itself for 10 years, late 80s through 90s. I’m not surprised by this. Racist jerks may not be mainstream, but they’re certainly tolerated. Dogwhistling abounds, but out-and-out racism is tolerated, and sometimes revealed in public. It’s pervasive/systemic/pernicious. Anyone who is claiming the South is unfairly singled out for racism is, well, not someone with whom I will readily agree. NB: I’ve also lived in the Midwest, NYC, spent time in the Northwest, San Francisco, lived abroad, etc… Sure, there’s racism in other places. But it’s particularly bad in the South. Duh.

4 Likes

Is he cockney?

1 Like

But…we have a coloured president.

3 Likes

Trendy “much?”

Well, that’s not done anymore. I mean, executive washrooms and private dining areas and…uh. Woops. Hospitals segregate their doctors from lessor staff. Damn.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.