Blackpool meets Bosch: stag and hen nights from hell

Somehow I don’t think that was your original intention.

Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.

The really sad thing is that yes there is a lot wrong with Blackpool, but images like this very unfairly make it seem much much worse than it is.

And more specifically, this song of his…

…in which he suggests the etymology you describe.

1 Like

[quote=“Kimmo, post:2, topic:35511”]
Hah! This has been Aussie slang since the 50s or earlier (etymology: watch under?), but the extent to which it’s become popularised globally can probably be attributed to good old Barry Humphries, another Melbourne lad.[/quote]

I always assumed it spread because of this: That Men at work song

I suppose; that song would’ve been an order of magnitude or two more popular than Bazza McKenzie…

Although IIRC the term is pretty hard to make out in the song.

As a resident of Fleetwood my whole life, I spent a few years going out in Blackpool quite regularly. The bars/clubs along the Prom and some of the bars/clubs in the shopping center (e.g NTK, Heaven & Hell) became quite horrible, nasty places to visit as more and more stag/hen parties started showing up.

After being in a few fights for no other reason than the aggressor just wanting a fight (for a laugh), we stopped going out in Blackpool. There are a great number of locals who won’t go out in the town center during the summer season, and it’s not much better in the winter time to be fair.

Obviously, the locals do know where the local pubs for local people are :smile:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.