Bloated corpse of Colonel Sanders to star in KFC comic

[Read the post]

1 Like

Bahhhh.

When I was a kid restaurants gave away self-themed comics books. They were horribly drawn with self-serving stories.

In college I used to collect the ones given away by Big Boy restaurants, which had a revival in interstate highway rest stops. I probably ā€œdonatedā€ them to the campus SF library.

5 Likes

There better be an ad for Twinkies in there.

4 Likes

Is it terribly subliminal? Because it sure doesnā€™t seem like it to me. Maybe itā€™s the tweet advising my conscious mind that it is subliminal marketing, maybe it is the heavy branding on the terrible comicā€¦

2 Likes

Maybe itā€™s subliminal marketing for some OTHER product that hasnā€™t even occurred to you yet.

4 Likes

Subliminal horse meat.

4 Likes

So the next time I see a fool in a string tie and Iā€™m tempted to run amuck with turkey baster full of chicken squeezins, Iā€™ll know what thatā€™s all about!

mmm mmm Iā€™d already eat me some horse if itā€™s prepared properly.

1 Like

Fun fact: KFC actually started in Utah (as Harmonā€™s Cafe) and for some reason people get weird and refuse to believe this (in a global warming kind of way); which leads me to ask: if KFC started in Kentucky, then what would the big deal be about selling Kentucky style chicken to Kentuckians?

Another fun story that requires some background: My dad was basically born as a baby trap from a crazed mother to a much older man, he grew up being bounced around from distant relatives to military and catholic schools, almost drafted despite having a paralyzed shoulder, homeless for periods of time, formed an actual bike gang, worked on oil rigs and power plants in the most gawd-forsaken country, etc etc [TL;DR: the man has had a shitty life]. Well sometime after he ā€˜graduatedā€™ high school he worked for some of the first KFCs and the Colonel. When asked what he was like my dadā€™s go to answer is ā€œthe meanest fucker Iā€™ve ever metā€ and will usually wonā€™t elaborate. And this is a man who will gleefully tell you about the time tell you about when a motorcycle accident took about 25% of his skin, or when rival bikers set his car on fire-with him in it.

8 Likes

I used to get free comics at Buster Brown shoes, and that was the 70s. Do they even exist anymore?

'tis about as subliminal as a swift kick to the groin.

2 Likes

Not outside the realm of plausibility.

1 Like

I dunno if people of Kentucky Brand Kentucky are as regionally proud as other states, but I can tell you that if you are in Texas and want to sell something to Texans calling it Texan really seems to work. Itā€™s odd, I would think itā€™s for tourists, all the Texas branded shit, but people in Texas whether transplants or native born eat that shit up, and not just Tex-Mex. You could sell personal lube or dishwashing detergent and given the choice theyā€™ll often opt fer Texan because yeehaw?

5 Likes

Wow, Iā€™d forgotten about those. Iā€™m pretty sure I had some of those too, because comics. According to Wikipedia, they are now known as Caleres, although the companyā€™s own website does acknowledge that they used to be ā€œBrown Shoe Company.ā€ I havenā€™t seen a Buster Brown Shoe store in decades, and Iā€™m not sure Iā€™d even notice a Caleres.

2 Likes

1 Like

Yep. I imagine party of the name change was the lack of currency is licensing a character who hasnā€™t seen mainstream print since the 20s.

1 Like

Boo, no bloated corpse. Nice come on you dope.

Chik-Fil-A did a series of comic a few years ago and the artwork looks very, very similar. Maybe thereā€™s a niche out there for comic artists working for fast food chains.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.