Brain Rot: Hip Hop Family Tree, Martha Cooper and Henry Chalfant

[Permalink]

Woo J. Johah Jameson cameo!

3 Likes

I heard somewhere that Subway Art is the most shoplifted book of all time. Even if thatā€™s only conjecture, realistically what other book would even be a contender? Yes, Iā€™m aware of Hoffmanā€™s Steal This Book, but not many people ever were Yippies, and none still are. Compare to how many people do graf and itā€™s amazing the thing is still in print.

Youā€™ll notice that the newer edition is like quadruple the size of the original edition. Which is ostensibly to showcase the photos, but it also makes it a helluva lot harder to shove down your pants.

1 Like

Iā€™ve heard that itā€™s On the Road. Thatā€™s got a little more popularity to it than Subway Art, with a longer lifespan of potential thefts.

1 Like

huh, yeah, I could see that.

ok, Iā€™ve got to google it now
most of the results say the Bible, but that sounds like the kind of thing that gets repeated for being ironic rather than true. Publisherā€™s Weekly says On the Road is one of them. They and Wikipedia agree that anything by Bukowski is number one, which Iā€™m sure makes Buk smile up in heaven.

Subway Art doesnā€™t seem to rank, so looks like I got suckered by an urban myth. For those writers that wanted a copy, Iā€™m pretty sure the majority of them got boosted, though. I know how I got mine. As the wiki says:

Constant wrote, "[F]iction that young white men read, and self-satisfied young white men, the kind who love to stick it to the man, are the majority of book shoplifters."2

I dunno that I was ever self-satisfied, but I suppose at the time I otherwise fit the profile ā”(Ā“āˆ€ļ½€)ā”Œ

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.