Bruce Alexander's Rat Park: a ratty paradise that challenges our assumptions about addiction

Another example of this dates back to Vietnam. In the war there were a shocking number of solders addicted to Morphine and people were sure it was going to be a disaster when all of those drug addicted GIs returned home. Morphine has an insanely high recidivism rate and the general consensus was that once hooked on it you were basically hooked for life.

But then something strange happened, these GIs returned and most gave up the drugs and stayed off of them. Simply changing the circumstances (from hellish war torn tropical jungle to typical American life) managed to break the cycle of addition. It suggests that our system of sending “cured” drug addicts back into the same system that had them try drugs in the first place may not be the best.

2 Likes

(a) Rock stars are not a representative sample of humanity.
(b) Genuine rock stars are often under a tremendous amount of stress, particularly while on tour. That’s where these guys pick up their habits, when they’re on the seventh straight day of playing their heart out all night and trying to catch some sleep on the bus during the day and they just don’t have the energy to go on. “Rich” doesn’t always mean “happy.”

2 Likes

You’ll find that the rates of serious addiction are quite a lot less among rich people than poor.

You’re also taking the conclusions way too far. No one has said that only poor people get addicted.

3 Likes

Great lead picture, Cory, I hadn’t seen that one before!

My cynical friend King Red says “you’re going to be addicted to something, at the very least air and water. The key is to make sure all your addictions are both legal and readily available.” He’s got a point, but it’s not the point Rat Park is addressing.

Social isolation, at least in their own minds, has been the common characteristic of every suicide and self-destructive drug addict I’ve ever known. Humans are pack animals; the people who are not properly socialized or incapable of social integration can only function well as outsiders or top-of-pyramid leaders - we call these people antisocial or sociopathic (respectively) and it’s understood that these are abnormal conditions that usually create unhappiness.

The experiment “ignores” this because it has absolutely nothing to do with issue the experiment attempted to address, which was that our understanding of drug addiction issues - which in turn shapes policy - is based on severely flawed science.

When Aristarchos proved the Earth revolved around the sun, he ignored the cause of potato blight, you know, but that didn’t make his experiments invalid.

A nicely balanced, yet reasonably short explanation of the experiment is in Opening Skinner’s Box, which I recommend to you.

I don’t know that the experiment even demonstrated that recovering from addiction doesn’t require significant work for most rats. It did however probably support the notion that that work becomes somewhat easier, perhaps crossing the threshold from impossible into possible, if the rats have opportunities for social interaction, a reasonably pleasant environment, freedom from oppression, etc.

1 Like

If by “serious addiction” you mean, “addiction that is socially or economically crippling” then that’s certainly true.

The exact same hundred dollar a day drug requirement and 20% reduction in earning capacity is much less harmful when they come out of the golf-vacations-and-iphones budget, than when they come out of the rent-groceries-and-healthcare budget.

2 Likes

I think we may have individually interpreted the thrust of @doctorow’s OP differently. Here was the takeaway I was operating from:

the compulsive behavior abated to the point of disappearance – in other words, whatever “rewiring” had taken place could be unwired by the improvement of their living conditions.

I’m not exactly disagreeing with you, though, or with anyone else in this thread who is encouraging a general overhaul of base conditions. It’s just that I am personally aware that there are – sometimes mystifying – factors that encourage addiction, regardless of the “outside” reality. And that an improvement of that reality is not a magic bullet.

I know that my attempt to beat back a crippling addiction problem could well have turned out differently if I hadn’t lucked into a significant improvement of circumstances (new locale, new and rewarding job with an actual living wage and benefits, etc.) at just the right time. But it took a minimum of two years, and much hard work, to really make progress on my mental wiring, even though my existence was objectively better.

1 Like

That does seem like a bit of a stretch. I’m pretty sure that is Cory’s take on it, not the conclusion of the researchers.

whatever “rewiring” had taken place could be unwired given the improvement of their living conditions seems a bit better - doesn’t assume the rats didn’t have to work on it, just notes that whatever the internal process was, their morphine consumption decreased and level of overall functioning increased when their circumstances improved.

3 Likes

I wasn’t responding to your other posts in the conversation, was I?

Just that one, where @lava had proposed greater parity between individuals, to which you basically said no because meh.

If you’re so interested in having your opinion respected, perhaps pay it forward some.

1 Like

Here is a pretty fantastic comic interpretation of Rat Park that I found while googling around after reading this article: http://www.stuartmcmillen.com/comics_en/rat-park/

We’re talking about Rat Park over here, too.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.