Budweiser renames its beer "America"

Now if you try and say our beer sucks, you gotta say you hate America. Do you hate America?

12 Likes

Doing it before it was cool. Or not.

16 Likes

I sure do hope that there is still a “headache” in every can.

1 Like

If they had decided on “American” it would’ve made more sense.

1 Like

But does it have what plants crave? (Just going through Trump presidency checklist here.)

14 Likes

America Changes Name!
DATELINE: MAY 11, 2016
Country was concerned about being conflated by a crappy beer

Well, that was fast.

The words “United States of America” have defined this country for more than two centuries, and are embedded into the Constitution, millions of lines of law and court precedent, hundreds of national institutions, and the very consciousness of the nation. The concept seemed indestructible, immovable, permanent in a way that few things in this world are.

Until yesterday, anyway.

After the beer giant Budweiser (NYSE: ADR) announced that they would be renaming their eponymous flagship beer to “America,” the immovable object was moved with surprising alacrity.

“There are many things that people associate with the name ‘America,’” President Obama stated in his speech after signing the constitutional amendment into law. "Some of them are good: the American Dream, the hard-working American people, American values.

"Some of our enemies, and even some of our closest allies, associate the name of America with hatred, with intolerance, with tragedies both in recent history, as well horrors dating back to when the first Europeans set foot on this continent. America has endured the latter because who we are, what that name represents to us, represents a willingness to be better, to rise above any darkness in our past and to make the name ‘America’ a beacon to this world by being the best at whatever we do!

“Sadly, yesterday, we found out just how far that willingness goes. I would like to thank the House and the Senate for moving so quickly on this crucial matter; my historian tells me that this is the first Constitutional Amendment to pass both the House and the Senate by unanimous consent. There are some things that we just cannot share a name with in good conscience, and it took extraordinary effort to make sure that this atrocity could not stand. Welcome, my friends, to the United States of Washingtonia!”

With the passing of legislature in all fifty states taking only a matter of a few hours, the Thirty-Fourth Amendment passed into law in an unprecedented timeframe for any law, much less one so-far reaching. Alaska and Nevada are both claiming that they represent the crucial state that put the act over the 38 state threshold needed to ratify the amendment.

Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump both suspended their presidential campaigns for the day in order to update their materials with the new name; Sanders continued his campaign, stating only, “We did the right thing today, but there’s still a lot of work to be done.”

Budweiser could not be reached for comment.

15 Likes

So is “Bud mud” called “America mud” now?

2 Likes

The town of Budweis = České Budějovice in Czechia (Czech Republic) is Czech not German.

It is a much tastier beer than the American version. Frankly I think they had no right to the name, but they had the money and the lawyers, now the Czech beer is named Budvar to get around the trademark.

But recently EU trade rules forbid selling products named for a region from somewhere else, such as Champagne
etc. Even Scotch can only be called Scotch if it is distilled in Scotland (except Suntory Scotch got around it by importing everything including the water).

I was in Cz. R last summer and didn’t think about asking about the name dispute, but I certainly didn’t see any US Budweiser beer available there, no one would drink it anyway. Even the non-alcoholic beers are pretty good - and normally I wouldn’t bother they do have a zero drinking driving policy.

6 Likes

In other news, I’m renaming my urine “Budweiser”.

18 Likes

OH shit, I knew that, now that you mention it. And being half Czech, I hang my head in shame.

3 Likes

Next time, Czech before labelling something as German.

28 Likes

Well, I hate America for making such bilgewater so “popular.”

Common joke heard while working in Europe:

Q: Why is American beer like making love in a canoe?
A: They’re both fucking near water.

That’s the rep American beer is trying to live down. I always knew which brand name was on everyone’s mind every time I heard it.

12 Likes
5 Likes

Really? Budweiser has already been turning America to piss since 1776

2 Likes

It’s going to be difficult to make America great again.

12 Likes

Now I know how to answer if I’m asked “why do you hate America?”

5 Likes

2 Likes

Nah, it will just come in a gold-colored can and I’m telling you Trump America Beer will be the best beer, the best! When we start exporting Trump America Beer, Mexico will gladly build that wall. I don’t know why, but Mexican President Vicente Fox told me it would be good for both of us.

7 Likes

Of course they did. And if shitty beer in a gilded can isn’t America, I don’t know what is.

5 Likes

6 Likes