Bulldog appears to answer owner with thoughtful yes and no replies

[Permalink]

1 Like

That’s just a fantastic example of the relation ship you can have with your dog!
That said, I miss my ole’ pal a whole hell’ava lot…

2 Likes

It’s like the old “horses that can do math” trick where the horse was trained to stomp until queued to stop.

This dog has been trained to shake and nod on command. My only evidence (aside from this being a much simpler explanation than “the dog understands english and answers questions logically”) is the fact that the dogs face is often fixed staring at one point and licking it’s lips; presumably a treat is being held out to reward the dog with.

Not criticizing any aspect of it; cute dog, cute training, cute video.

That is Hans down the most Clever dog I’ve ever seen.

4 Likes

American Staffordshire Terrier. Not bulldog. He is super cute!

1 Like

It is not necessarily intentional training. The dog may simply be good at reading the owner’s body language and and tone of voice the owner can be unaware that she is basically telling the dog what response to make. However, since we cannot see the owner, we can’t check.

2 Likes

Dollars to doughnuts, the owner has two different hand signals, one for ‘nod’, one for ‘shake’. This is another reason why we don’t see the owner.

Those clipped ears make me said. :frowning: (I bet Caesar is rescued, so no blame on the current owners, and he is SUPER CUTE!)

2 Likes

Apart from the resounding yes’ also being accompanied by physically advancing a lot of the time, is it really so questionable to think a dog could learn to shake and bow its head as indications of wanting something from a simple, oft repeated list?

Dinner (for varying values of consumption), Biscuit, More Dinner/Biscuit, Outside and Attention. Indicating that the human made the noise for the wanted thing is probably quite easily and functionally explainable in terms of operant conditioning.

4 Likes

I don’t see any reason to doubt that the dog’s figured out two different responses to common questions he hears all the time.

When my dog wants something, she walks up and says “rom rom”, sits, and waits. I’ll go through a list of the things she might want – “dinner? A walk? A treat? Your bone? Your toy? A ride in the car?” and she’ll tilt her head at each thing or look at the floor. When I get to the one she wants, she says “ruff!” and runs off to that thing (her food dish, the back door, her toy for playtime).

1 Like

Me, too. Years ago, it was tied to the breed; and it evolved from ears and tails getting caught in whatever the traditional job of the dog was. Then the “job” was fighting, which is why it continues. But some a-holes just want a mean-looking dog, which really adds to the public perception of the bully breeds being dangerous.

Thank god our gal had those great eyes to go along with her intact ears and tail when we rescued her. She lived 13 years with us and the orthopedic surgeon who did her knees for the shelter thought she was about two when we fostered her.

1 Like

What a beautiful puppy!!

shake, nod, and BE ADORABLE

I am glad you know this to be presumptuous. I know it to be your prergoative, but I think you missed the point, despite your adding the postscript to contradict yourself!

Pretty good, but it’s no Yas Cat.

Thanks! We adored her.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.