Burn water in your car

[Permalink]

Actually this is well known and still in use today.

13 Likes

IIRC the last Discover or Scientific American I read had some ad for magic, curing pure water? Supposed the angle of the H20 bonds were different? The ad was just bat shit insane.

1 Like

Don’t forget the cow magnets. Put 'em on each side of the fuel line as close to the carburetor as possible and viola – boosted octane. Couple 'em with this bronze baby and you’ll actually leave gas at the station.

5 Likes

you’ll actually leave gas at the station.

which will contribute to smog.

1 Like

Yeah - this isn’t actually “use water as fuel” (though there has been a few of those), it’s “boost your engine power by water injection”, which can actually work in diesel engines (by letting you burn more fuel, mind you).

2 Likes

They also do wonders for the audio.

5 Likes

That one is in Smithsonian too, so it must be true.

Just as dnebdal states, this is not using water as fuel, it uses water to help the fuel burn more efficiently.

you can still buy these style kits, for carbuerated motors…

http://www.jcwhitney.com/aem-water-or-methanol-injection-system/p2020685.jcwx

and, of course, not California legal…

Exactly what I was going to say. Sadly science snark is stronger than science knowledge.

3 Likes

Was that Penta Water?
www.chem1.com/CQ/pentabunk.html

Cow magnets, on the other hand are a real and useful thing.
Cows have a tendency to eat just about anything scattered amongst the grass (nails, bits of fencing wire…), so pill shaped magnets are inserted into the cows to trap them safely.
www.tmcmagnetics.com/cow_magnets.html

1 Like

It‘s totally a real thing. For more info and a full color catalog, just send $29.95 and a self addressed, stamped envelope to:

Clean Coal Research Institute
  Houston, TX 77001

Please allow 40-60 years for delivery.

9 Likes

[quote=“Eksrae, post:4, topic:49066, full:true”]
Don’t forget the cow magnets. [/quote]

Whats a “cow” magnets?

I was at, of all places, a gun show 2 weekends ago and they had one of those booths selling “energy magnet bracelets” bullshit. I walk by an the guy is like, “He it kind looks like you’re limping, are you in pain…”

“I’m fine.”

“I -”

“No. I’m fine. Really. I’m fine.”

4 Likes

The secret to water-injection systems for airplanes, AKA “military power”, was that it was a combination of water and METHANOL; it was not pure water. This can work with pure water, as well, but not nearly so well, and certainly is not all that useful in anything but very-high-compression engines (such as found in racing or military prop planes). And yes, as noted above, it also burns MORE fuel, as well; it was for increased power, not fuel efficiency.

You can gain mileage benefits from using surplus engine electrical power to electrolyze water, and inject the resulting gasses (H, O2, and water vapor) into the fuel-air mixture, thus raising combustion temperature and increasing efficiency a good bit. But don’t confuse this with “water-as-fuel” scams, as seen on YouTube =p . You’d get pretty similar results from an electrically-powered forced-air induction system, for that matter. Or just use a turbocharger =) .

2 Likes

Cow magnets are lozenge-shaped magnets fed to cows to prevent bailing wire and other metal contaminants from going all the way through their GI tracts. Removing the magnet from the stomach is part of cattle slaughtering.

3 Likes

I told you, dude!
coughcoughcough

1 Like

I keep always keep a crystal in my vehicle, guy who sold them to me says I should get 5-10 mpg. It feels true.

4 Likes

Cow magnets sound like something one would stick on the front of the refrigerator to hold a grocery list. I wonder if cow magnets will help the fridge get better gas mileage. Probably not.

1 Like

I thought they were like chick magnets, but less galline.

7 Likes

Interesting. I always thought the water in the air intake was added to increase efficiency by causing the combusted gasses to expand more than they normally would.

Now I know.