Bus company pulls topless "Ride Me All Day for £3" posters

[Read the post]

1 Like

I liked it.

5 Likes

See? Men and women showing the same amount of skin. Win-win.

7 Likes

Well I found it amusing, but yeah that one will obviously get the prudes all in a fit of offense.

6 Likes

No Sex Please, We’re British

12 Likes

In situations like this I always imagine there was one person in the ad agency who said, “This is a really bad idea.” And, as usual, the guys ignored her.

14 Likes

Yeah, amusing, but in a I am still 13, hurhur way and nothing wrong with that, but it should not have made to approval.

1 Like

Was it really a bad idea? This has been covered by the UK press and the BBC: there’ll now be an awful lot of people in Cardiff and nearby who now know you can get an all-day ticket for £3 from this bus company.

11 Likes

I’m from Cardiff… and in fairness I already knew you could ride the bus for £3, but I still get a bit of amusement that THIS is the thing that puts Cardiff on the world stage. :smiley:

6 Likes

Half naked women == uncomfortable and objectifying

Half naked men == terrible marketing.

I think there’s a little subtle gender bias going on with the tweeter.

9 Likes

Well, there is the Cardiff Giant.

4 Likes

The Union of Prostitutes probably complained that this campaign would drive their rates down to unsustainable levels.

In a race to the bottom, only the bottom wins.

4 Likes

If you’re going topless, what else is left?

I suppose there’s always the distinction between “bottoms” and “front-bottoms”.

Ok, the thing that puts Cardiff, Wales on the world stage. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

The claim that we should treat people as ‘persons’ and not dehumanise them is to reify, is to anthropomorphise humans and consider them more than they are. Do not treat people as objects, we are told. Why not? Because, goes the answer, people qua persons deserve not to be treated as objects. What a nice bit of illusory chauvinism. People are not as grand as we make them out to be, would like them to be, or hope them to be.
-Alan Soble
-ducks-

2 Likes

Maybe I’m unclear on how the industry works, but it seems like in a race to the bottom, only the top would win.

3 Likes

There’s a Cardiff in Wales too?!

1 Like

A new entry for here?

There isn’t a Cardiff, Ohio??

2 Likes

Hi Mark,

I’ve been a big fan of Boing Boing for 4-1/2 years, ever since Tom Aitken told me about it, back when I thought I was pretty close to submitting my own piece. I’ve been skimming past all the snarky stuff lately, since I haven’t been able to sleep for three days. You guys are the only honest group on the Internet, and I applaud you for that!

Would you please read and send along the attached to Tim Cook at Apple? Thanks so much.

Sincerely yours,
Lyn

P.S. Oh! But the way, I’ve figured it all out!

Letter to President Obama 04-26-09.doc
Letter to Senator Kennedy 08-08-09.doc
Letter to Senator Mikulski 02-10-05.DOC
E-mail from Mikulski 07-18-05.DOC

6 Likes

Oh yes, because men are always stupid-stubborn and women are smart-reasonable. I hope that you are not working for the police, because profiling by stereotypes kills a lot of innocent people lately…

5 Likes