Caitlyn Jenner, formerly Bruce Jenner, comes out on the cover of Vanity Fair

[Read the post]

3 Likes

I wish Caitlyn all the best, but I do wonder about one thing: Were Kris and the K Krew were offended that he didn’t spell it Kaitlyn? The C seems off-brand, but now that I type it, maybe that was intentional. Carry on Ms. Jenner.

5 Likes

Quite an entrance. Makes you wish that he did this years ago.

2 Likes

it should be chelsea manning on there . now theres a real national trans hero. instead shes in jail :c good for caitlyn though.

2 Likes

Let’s not get off on the wrong foot!

6 Likes

It seems like she also wishes she’d done this years ago. I do appreciate that the timing is better than it would have been even just a few years ago given the major changes in attitudes toward LGBT people, but it’s a shame if that’s even part of the reason for doing it now.

1 Like

My daughter is in her school’s GSA and has several trans friends. Even though we talk all the time about these issues, I still find that I do struggle with it where she is so naturally accepting.

I’ve been very interested in this story since it was breaking in the tabloids, as I think it precisely identifies this generational gap. She barely knows who Bruce Jenner is; I grew up with him as the personification of masculinity. I say, “HE WAS ON THE WHEATIES BOX!!!” but of course she has no idea what that means to my generation in the first place.

I think he is breaking ground and doing something great with the platform he has. I only ever watched the Kardashians when I was at the gym and they played in the locker room, but where I did see him on the show he seemed so weak. And now Caitlyn seems so strong.

4 Likes

Is it just me or does she look a lot like Priscilla Presley?

1 Like

My oh my.

She’s a bit of a looker, isn’t she.

Good on her.

Somehow I was hoping for less photoshop but I guess I shouldn’t be surprised.

This is very much in line with the visual style that Annie Leibowitz established throughout her career in the pre-digital age. I’d be surprised if there was NO photoshop involved just because virtually every image that goes to print gets digital color-correction and whatnot, but I also wouldn’t assume this image underwent any especially heavy manipulation.

Bruce Jenner was photoshopped quite disgracefully by InTouch– why shouldn’t Vanity Fair photoshop Caitlyn?

There’s not really a consistent expectation for how to refer to someone’s “pre-transition” gender. I think it varies based on the person. For example some transwomen think of their lives as being lived partly as men and then becoming a woman - and so expect to be called “he” in past tense, but others always identified as women, even when the rest of the world misgendered them as men, and so referring to their past self as “he” is just more misgendering.

1 Like

Not the color correction etc but the waist seems a bit off? Rib shaving?

That waist seems totally believable to me considering it’s a world class athlete—in a corset. Plus lenses, posing, lighting, etc. Hell, even I could probably look reasonably good for the camera if I had a team of professional stylists and only had to suck it in for the duration of a shutter click.

2 Likes

I imagine most trans people would prefer to transition sooner than they did/do/will, given the nature of dysphoria.

2 Likes

I think we need some sort of semipublic ritual to mark the transition, or at least recognize coming out as such- Kind of how a wedding marks the change from “Miss” to “Mrs”, or a bar mitzvah marks the change from “Master” to “Mister”.

My own transgender friends describe it as dying and being reborn, so I kind of feel like the past/present thing has a certain legitimacy. eg: Bradley Manning leaked classified documents while Chelsea Manning is in prison for it; or my friend was a father before she changed her name.

2 Likes

This was my only surprise, that she is not Kaitlyn-with-a-K.

1 Like

Well, the “K” thing was more Kris’ thing, and I feel Caitlyn is trying to separate herself from Kris now that they’re split, so it doesn’t really surprise me at all.

As for the photoshop… Her face does look a little bit 'shopped (particularly around the eyes) but I’m actually quite surprised at the restraint they showed here. Visible wrinkles, laugh lines, crow’s feet and loose skin? What kind of mass-market magazine cover is this?

I moved a post to an existing topic: How to talk about Caitlyn Jenner: how to not say asshole things about transgender people

1 Like