Canada's new surveillance bill eliminates any pretense of privacy

[Permalink]

Probably getting my stories mixed up about this issue, but at least the Canadians had the cojones to put the language into a bill, rather than allowing the NSA to run amok and then trying to play catch up while not being allowed to access information relevant to the particular case (NSL, security clearances, etc.).

1 Like

This is messed and Harper needs to be stopped.

1 Like

Unfortunately the Liberals support the bill. This is happening.

1 Like

That’s not nice or polite at all. Are we sure these are Canadians we are talking about?

1 Like

Don’t worry.

edit: Context: This came up on my playlist on my drive home from work. It reminded me of the current situation here in Canada. I thought I would share it before sharing it becomes a reason for being dissapeared.

1 Like

I see Canada are putting a strong running against Australia in the Most Clueless Commonwealth Government 2015 contest.

1 Like

Dear Canada, there are many issues where the US should not be considered a role model. This is one of them. Also, Canada, you’ve been making me sad lately.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, as I’ve been saying to my fellow Canadians for years, we are not smarter than Americans, we are actually just more cautious (I would say “conservative” but that word doesn’t mean that anymore), and this plays out by us being four to eight years behind America on policy. Sometimes that’s great: We were only starting on ridiculous mortgage schemes when the global economic collapse happened and we hadn’t had time to destroy ourselves with them yet. But we were getting into them.

Honestly, when we elected Harper after years of making fun of Bush, we looked pretty stupid. Now when there are global environmental summits Canada is the bad guy at the table - but enough Canadians are defensive instead of embarrassed that we can’t see the parallels. Sorry for making you sad, but we’re a bunch of dummies.

2 Likes

For awhile it seemed that Canada was the bastion for sensibility in the English speaking world. But now, it seems Australia wins by default. The US and England have been out of the running for a long time, and I kind of doubt they ever will be. Maybe it isn’t too late for Canada, or at least I hope it isn’t.

1 Like

My impression is Canada is partly suffering from US influence in these things. The long word on the street has been the US relies on five eyes for spying on their own citizens to skirt around legality, and they rely on the US to skirt around legality.

Ultimately, the reasoning is simple: power. Organizations, groups, like individuals, have a tendency to try and get whatever power they can, whenever they can.

Stating the obvious, I am sure. But, often not said.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.