Canadian libraricide: Tories torch and dump centuries of priceless, irreplaceable environmental archives

5 Likes

Anti-intellectual right wing gits: Not just for America anymore!

5 Likes

13 Likes

Book burners.
Whats sad is there was a day where that would be a grave insult.

15 Likes

Heartbreaking for sure.

2 Likes

This is why we need mirror sites that are not under government control.

5 Likes

If you want to destroy people’s history, book-burning works. And the fewer the records, or the smaller the group one targets, the better it works. It didn’t destroy Jewish history, but many book-burning pictures are from the burning of Hirschfeld’s library, part of a campaign that has destroyed trans and intersex history.

Now we have to face accusations that we have no history, that we did not always exist, that we were invented by the medical establishment - in some cases, accusations that we were invented by the same Nazi scientists who were trying to exterminate our people. It fucking infuriates me.

If that is what you are trying to do, book-burning works. If that is not what you are trying to do, you don’t burn books. If you are burning books, you are trying to rob someone of their history. In this case, they are trying to rob Canadians and the world of their natural history, and conceal the losses, to protect extractive and destructive and polluting industries.

17 Likes

Somehow I find this shocking and upsetting. Our world is more and more like Brave New World every day. What would happen to a scientist in Canada who denounced this? What about scientists here? Would they lose their jobs? Get blacklisted? This is really terrible. It goes to show how important the science is, if it needs to be hidden/obliterated. And it also shows who is in control. And that they plan to do whatever they want without regard for scientific truth and/or long-term consequences. So so worrisome. And what happened to Canada? They used to be able to look down on us with dismay from their politically/intellectually superior heights. I’m serious. Their country used to be much saner than ours. The same goes for Sweden and Australia, if I"m not mistaken.

7 Likes

As a human I am also appalled.

3 Likes

Then later will point and go ‘what research? there i s no climate change lalalalalala i can’t hear you!’

3 Likes

Now Harper just needs to burn the rest of the world’s books, too …

1 Like

Recently, last year, the conservative government passed a bill deregulating protection of waterways except in Conservative riding’s. Passing the Bill without opposition and without prior media attention. Destroying records from the Ministry of Fisheries, the two go hand in hand with removal of protection of waterways and conservation records. The Conservatives intend too sell off vast tracks of rural land for (foreign) resource development.

http://sgnews.ca/2012/10/31/harperites-remove-protection-from-lakes-except-in-conservative-ridings/

4 Likes

really putting the conserve back into conservative, eh?

1 Like

It all depends on what is being conserved doesn’t it?

This… this is just plain evil. A great series of crimes in the new millennia and nobody is going to get jailed for it. Destruction of the past as well as a future legacy all in one fell swoop.

All because of shortsighted greed and covering of their own asses.

8 Likes

Hah. That’s exactly what I was going to say, sans the ‘intelligent’ bit. This story made me feel a little sick and even though I am no scientist I thought for a moment I was going to cry. I know there are some very intelligent conservatives but sometimes I think we overestimate their power. It looks like the brainless conservatives are in the ascendency in Canada. When the smart ones are in control we can at least explain their actions to ourselves but this kind of thoughtless vandalism is beyond comprehension.

1 Like

Can we try these politicians for crimes against humanity yet?

2 Likes

Their haste to wipe out evidence that won’t support their side gives away what they really believe. So much for the pretense from conservatives that they might believe science will bear out climate change denial.

12 Likes

Can I have a citation on the destruction of the HMS Challenger logs?

2 Likes

If only there was a way to get enough Canadians to publicly ask;"What are they hiding?,Why did they do that?"to get a large enough fraction of the population to take notice,& pursue the issue, but alas,Canada seems to be following the States down the drain…
(nothing good EVER came from burning books,if anything, it is a sure indication that something very wrong is already afoot.)

5 Likes

That was what I first questioned; here is from the Wiki on it:
"Findings from Challenger expedition continued to be published until 1895, 19 years after the completion of its journey. The report contained 50 volumes and was over 29,500 pages in length. Specimens brought back by the Challenger were distributed to world’s foremost experts for examination, which greatly increased the expenses and time required to finalize the report. The report and specimens are currently held at the British Natural History Museum and the report has been made available online. Some specimens, of many were the first discovered of their kind, are still examined by scientists today.

As the first true oceanographic cruise, the Challenger expedition laid the groundwork for an entire academic and research discipline. The name of the Challenger was applied to such varied phenomena as the Challenger Society for Marine Science, the oceanographic and marine geological survey ship Glomar Challenger, and the Space Shuttle Challenger."

And, all seems well at the link for it at the British Natural History Museum: http://www.nhm.ac.uk/nature-online/science-of-natural-history/expeditions-collecting/hms-challenger-expedition/index.html

1 Like