Cheap iPhone

There’s always ColorWare - they’re pretty niche, but they feel a little pain every time Apple decides to re-introduce colors.

'Cause he can draw pretty rectangles with rounded corners?

Apple has gone from ridiculed to briefly cool and now back to ridiculed. Personally, I prefer ridiculed because it’s more fun being part of the out crowd.

1 Like

Wow, cutting. And right here on the internets too. Such a brave man.

The out crowd of about 25% of all cell phone users? (corrected from smartphone to cell phone).

I would say join the Blackberry or Windows Phone users to be part of the hip/out crowd… LOL

I dunno why anyone gets contracts. I buy a cheap googlemaphone from china, decent spec & two separate SIM slots, with unique IMEI no.s for round about £100and £15/m for PAYG with unlimited data & 400mins voice. It’s lasted me two years, and it’s fine, bar a cracked screen. I might buy myself a new one this Christmas, but I’d never, ever get a contract phone again…

See my comment re cheap dual-sim droid phones from China.

Love the DIY dazzle! (Looks like it could’ve been sold as a tie-in with one of my old G.I. Joe toys.)

This is a silly way to look at the pricing. With my mobile phones, if I had paid full price for any of my last 3 phones, the cost would have been roughly $2000 total (at least). I would have paid the exact same amount for my phone plan that I would have paid on contract (my provider doesn’t offer any discounts if you bring your own phone, and I’m actually not sure if any providers do that up here in Canada). I’ve had no interest in leaving my cell phone provider over the last 7 years, as there are really no viable alternatives (there’s the up and comers in Wind and Mobilicity, but Mobilicity doesn’t have coverage where I live, and the couple friends I’ve talked to who have Wind have had nothing but complaints about network coverage). So the cost off contract for me would actually have been about $1600 more than what I actually ended up paying, on contract. And actually, it might have been even a bit higher, since I also had the leverage of saying to my provider “If you want to keep me as a customer, you’ll have to give me better rates.” That’s $1600 in my pocket that wouldn’t be there if I had done the “smart” thing and gotten my phones off contract.

Because cell phone companies won’t even sell you a data plan unless you’re on contract? That’s true around here at least. If you want no-contract you have to find some off brand provider (who is going to get dicked over on roaming from the major carriers) and you’re only going to get a featurephone voice and SMS plan, and SMS is going to cost an arm and a leg if you actually use it.

Hooray for oligopolies.

2 Likes

Koodo does (or did when I switched to them). 10% off whatever plan you’re on.

In 'Merka there’s no such thing as off-contract because Free Market (not at all collusion, so they promise us).

Interesting, though not a feasible option for me, since Koodo = Telus, and with my Telus iPhone 5, I get 1 bar at home. Definitely not a provider I would consider switching to.

You’re really stuck then. Where I live at least, Bell and Telus share towers. So you’re stuck with Rogers/Fido?

Pretty much. I haven’t tried a Bell phone at home, though haven’t had any friends with Bell complaining at our place. Whereas other Telus phone owning friends have also complained about the sinkhole we seem to be in. I’d consider switching to Bell, if they gave me a good enough reason to switch, but so far their plans have been equal to or more expensive than what I’m currently paying with Rogers.

There is one possible exception nationwide: T-Mobile had a big deal about no-contract plans a few months ago. I didn’t check to see if they still charge you for the phone even if you bring your own like other major carriers with no-contract plans. I’m pretty sure T-Mo offers data service on a non-contract basis though.

I’ve got a no-contract iPhone from Virgin Mobile. $40 a month. I paid full price for my 4S but the math works out to saving around $1300 over a 2-year “contract” term.

Aye, I know, you guys get properly fucked over on phones. It’s, like, super-free, that there market is…

Fuuuuck. Your comms companies are crazy. Bizarrely, they’re our comms companies too (well, some of them). Texts are pretty much free here. Customers would look at you like you grew an extra head if you tried to charge more than a nominal fee for them, unless you are on the very worst PAYG deal from the most dickish provider (probably Orange, as was. They & Tmobile have become ‘Everything Everywhere’, or ‘EE’. Pronounced to rhyme with ‘meh’).

They bloody well should be. They cost the carriers nothing.