Children, 7 and 10, were under lifetime gag order in fracking settlement

A corporation is an association of individuals and when one or some of them break the law they certainly do go to jail. It would not make any sense to send every employee or even every owner to jail for the actions of some owners or employees.

And yes the goal of a corporation is to make money for the shareholders but any CEO that does this without regard to ethical implications is not a very good CEO and usually doesn’t do a very good job at the profit part either.

One of the goals of incorporation is to limit the financial and legal liability of its officers. It works well, which is why you seldom see any of them go to jail.

5 Likes

That’s because it would be really really stupid to go around arresting some grandma and taking her home and other possessions because she happens to be a share holder of a company that goes bankrupt or is found negligent in some way.

It is sentiment like yours that is highly dangerous because if taken seriously it would bring the economy to a grinding halt in a matter of days if not a few hours. No small business or start up would ever be formed again without limited liability.

1 Like

Yes, beware my mighty sentiment, which shall bring down the whole capitalist system! lol

Also, shareholders have very limited say in what happens in a corporation, day-to-day. It’s the decision makers that need to held accountable.

3 Likes

They already are! When they break the law they go to jail. No one gets a get out of jail free card because of limited liability.

I needed that laugh, thanks!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Not sure what to say here that won’t sound… I don’t know… like a conspiracy theorist, so I’ll just post without comment…

During the proceedings, the attorney representing Range Resources,
James Swetz, reaffirmed the company sought the gag order on the
children. “I guess our position is it does apply to the whole family.
We would certainly enforce it,” he told the court.

Yeah, this bothers me too. Why do we keep having all these movies with these conversations about science, where people are saying ‘just because you CAN do it doesn’t mean you should’

Have these people looked around the real world? Just because you CAN tell people not to tell the truth doesn’t man you should. Just because you CAN foreclose this home doesn’t mean you should. Just because you CAN arrest someone who’s harming nobody on a technicality doesn’t mean you should.

We’ve got it all backwards.

1 Like

I agree. But I think to them that this is the real world. They do these things because they have and power to shape the legal order to their own liking. It really is a different set of rules for people with money and people without. As a friend of mine recently noted, our system works, in that it was set in motion by rich white men and that is precisely who it overwhelmingly still serves.

1 Like

And we can do much, much better.

Timely post actually, I and a few others were forced to change tactics to describe a solution that’s . . . absurdly clever and impossible for them to fight effectively. :smile:

Feel free to contribute/help/inspire/lead. We can fix this! We just need to work together at it, and we’ve got a trick!

1 Like

Related?

1 Like

Yes… I did not see that post… can we do that “merging” think that Rob did on another set of topics?

To be fair, her headline was much funnier for those of us who grew up on Battlestar Galactica as kids! :wink:

Maybe, but I’d be merging into a closed topic. This one is open indefinitely since it’s a community topic. @Felton?

Damn it, William, I didn’t mean it to be funny! When I’m being funny, you’ll know! :wink:

Why can’t I get the smiley faces to work for me… Insert funny thing here.

1 Like

Ahh, but it was so clever! Both interpretations work so well! You’re brilliant without even trying, see?

I just figured out the smiley bit, when you hit the colon (on the keyboard) then it kind of gives you a list, it’s colon|emotion|colon in format :wink:

I’ve merged them and opened this topic for five more days.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.