Children's Place girl's tee: good at shopping, not math

Not to detract from the purpose of the post, but am I allowed to love geometry but hate algebra?

Because I want to do that.

5 Likes

I’ve always been terrible at algebra, but I got a B in geometry without even trying!

Is it possible to point out sexism without implying that it is somehow the responsibility of “massive retail chains” to help raise our kids? I think it is.

in the t-shirt industry there’s not much marketing research going on, it comes down to ‘what has sold well in the past’ there were a series of other designs that led up to this one in a strange evolution of bad design

1 Like

But doesn’t “what has sold well in the past” at least imply a minimum amount of research?

i feel like the term ‘research’ implies something more intelligent than how apparel companies operate, lol

i guess technically there is a level of research and information going on, but its not formalized in any sort of official way, its not like with movies where they might test the shirts on audiences or anything

the artists, creative directors, and buyers are operating on wild hunches more than anything else

Someone should introduce them to my daughter who is a solid 2 grade levels ahead in math.

The irony is that shopping, music, and dance are all applied math. (Well, maybe dance is applied music.)

1 Like

Some of the posts above are a little judgmental when it comes to people who aren’t good at math.

I’m defending my PhD in applied math next week, but that attitude actually really rubs me the wrong way. There are many kinds of intelligence out there…

I think the word you’re looking for is “disingenuous driving trollies.”

6 Likes

They have pulled the shirt it seems - that one anyway. The horrible stereotyping of shirts for girls (All about glitter) and boys (super hero) still remain.

2 Likes

I think dance can also be classified as motion studies.

This sort of thing isn’t new to TCP. Their shirts with logos often have pithy, vapid statements about being pretty or awesome. My daughter, 9, loves science, is ambivalent about math but despises “girly marketing” and sees right through the sparkly trap they are trying to pigeon hole young ladies in.

1 Like

Someone on their Facebook page posted this link, which I’ll be bookmarking for use as needed:

1 Like

This might explain why I recently saw a guy in China wearing a T-shirt that said, “keep calm and fuck British boys”. It did seem like an odd twist on the general theme at the time.

2 Likes

Parents who support strict gender roles,aka much of America.

How do they shop without math?

3 Likes

They’re going to reintroduce it with nothing checked and a marker.

2 Likes

OBLIGATORY

6 Likes

There’s at least two of us. Geometry was cool!